Used 1Ds Mk. II vs. new 5D Mk. II

phototrek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you guys had the chance to buy a used in excellent condition 1Ds Mk II or a new 5D Mk II which would you buy? The price is about the same for both. Cameras will be used for landscape and wildlife.

You know, it's a tough call. The sensor is superior in the 5DMk2 with low light capability the 1DsMk2 can't touch. The 1DsMk2 can only hit ISO 3200 in H1 mode whereas the 5DMk2 can do 3200 in standard mode with almost no noise at all. The 5DMk2 can also push ISO 25600 if you need it.

In terms of IQ, the 1DsMk2 actually beats the 5DMk2. In dynamic range and in color depth, the 1DsMk2 is slightly superior to the 5DMk2.

That's something you'll have to decide. Neither camera is a slouch, but for me the 5D's low light capabilities would push me in that direction.

Yeah. That's a tough call for sure. I would lean to the 5dMKII myself. I really want that as my next camera. I am just waiting a bit longer to see what the 60D has to offer.

As a 1dMII shooter, my gut instinct is the 1dsMII but logic tells me that technology moves very very fast and that the 5DMII would probably be more advanced (better)... in fact 4+years of advances in digital imaging/technology better.

Yep, its a tough call for sure. I would lean to the 5D MK II. Used vs new being another added plus.

I don't understand why this is a tough call, resolution is so similar in either, it's a non-issue, so it comes down to this:

Do you need awesome build quality? get the 1D

Do you need good AF? get the 1D

Do you want video? Get the 5D

Do you want something that doesn't have retarded ergonomics? get the 5D

If it were me, despite the AF and build, I'd get the 5D simply because it's a better camera for a photographer that isn't going to be in the worst of the worst conditions. The build and AF are the only things superior in the 1D, everything else (from a practical standpoint) in the 5D is better.

Is the water-prof? You did say you were going to be outdoors a Lot, right? ;)
Ah, the only question that matters. If you're outside, the water-proofing MATTERS. I didn't understand that when I lived in LA, but now that I'm in Berlin (where it rains every day that I actually have time to shoot) the water-proofing matters. A light drizzle becomes a cool photo environment, not a reason to find a café.

easily the 1dmkII, you just look that much more manly :)

Do you need good AF? get the 1D

That's the underlining issue for me. Shooting wildlife would benefit from a more reliable AF associated with 1 series bodies.
I know a fair few photog's who shoot a 5DmkII, all say that the hit rate is less than they had hoped, as well as the focus accuracy in low light environments.

I used to have a 1DmkI and a 30D as my main bodies, despite the smaller output from the 1D, I always preferred this camera for pretty much all circs bar low light.

It really knocked out a great picture.

The hit rate at 2.8 on my L series lenses was significantly more hit instead of miss. AF was excellent.

Maybe try both bodies if you can? choose from a first hand perspective.

Do you want something that doesn't have retarded ergonomics? get the 5D

:lol: Yeah, the buttons and the combinations needed to alter the controls are not dissimilar to entering a cheat on a playstation pad during a game.
Saying that though, the do become familiar eventually.

Last edited:
Thnaks for all the info. Now lets say a 1Ds Mk 3 was for sale used would you guys buy the 1Ds Mk 3 or the 5D Mk 2?

Of course the 1dsMIII..... they are essentially the same generation in the lineup of Canon with the 1DsMIII costing more than 2x the 5d MII (I am also biased towards 1 series canons).

Me personally...

I'd rather sell my 1dmII and up date it to the 1dMIII PLUS a 5dMII. I think those two camera bodies together provide a more satisfying and more useful combination than a similarly priced 1dsMIII by itself.

Most reactions

Back