Used equipment for beginners?

Hmm, a DSLR with OVF and a split screen !!!

Agreed. It is strange to me that digital cameras have virtually abandoned manual focus aids. While they all have something, it is never as effective as the old split image finder.

Hmm, a DSLR with OVF and a split screen !!!

Agreed. It is strange to me that digital cameras have virtually abandoned manual focus aids. While they all have something, it is never as effective as the old split image finder. My mirrorless system provides a digital split image which isn't very easy to use and a contrast peaking aid which works better than the focusing aids in DSLR's but not as well as the old optical split image.

My first camera was a D3300, I bought brand new because it was a "first", but I can tell you now a year on that my set-up for shooting wildlife is second hand and I like to think I've gotten some pretty good images from that. I even still use the kit lens that came with my D3300 on my second hand D7100. If you're going to buy second hand, just make sure the sensor is clean and your lenses don't have fungus growing on the optics/no scratches. My g.f now uses my D3300 and loves it because its easy to carry about and a good handle.

Good luck with your search!

I went ahead and manage to win an auction for a used D3200 on ebay with two batteries, the kit 18-55 and an additional 55-200 lens.

It should reach the farlands of my suburbia within the next two weeks.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

I'll post pics when it reach here. :D

I went ahead and manage to win an auction for a used D3200 on ebay with two batteries, the kit 18-55 and an additional 55-200 lens.

It should reach the farlands of my suburbia within the next two weeks.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

I'll post pics when it reach here. :D

I've been using my kit lens (18-55) alot recently for landscapes, starscapes and more recently long exposure landscapes and it's actually pretty good, I've found it has good sharpness around the 24-45mm mark. All the best with your new equipment when it arrives :)

The D3200 arrived. It's almost new, I had a real bargain. No dirt at all. Shutter count was just below 2200!

I am starting to experiment with it. Still unsure what all the modes are for, I feel better using M mode.

I didn't have much time yet, but we get along well, I'm having fun, and I like the results I get.

Thanks again for the comments. It helped direct me in acquiring this one!

Last edited:
The D3200 arrived. It's almost new, I had a real bargain. No dirt at all. Shutter count was just below 2200!

I am starting to experiment with it. Still unsure what all the modes are for, I feel better using M mode.

I didn't have much time yet, but we get along well, I'm having fun, and I like the results I get.

Thanks again for the comments. It helped direct me in acquiring this one! View attachment 148581View attachment 148582View attachment 148583

Congrats on the new camera.

A D3200 was and is my second digital camera. They do pretty well. They are still some better in low light than my Original digital D60 NIkon.

It was commented about the auto focus not locking in on a still subject a park bench, and one thing I know is when in low light they have trouble auto focusing. If the light is low enough, and or the area where your AF setting is set to is very dark, and you’re set on a single point focus setting it will keep trying to catch the right focus and move in and out, and some times after a minute or more it might lock on, but wouldn’t depend on it. Glad you found one option to set to AE-L. I like to manually focus in those instances but that can be hit or miss in low light also, unless you have really good eyes. Thanks for informing me of the AE-L remedy. Hope is helps a little.
@Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A D3200 was and is my second digital camera. They do pretty well. They are still some better in low light than my Original digital D60 NIkon.

It was commented about the auto focus not locking in on a still subject a park bench, and one thing I know is when in low light they have trouble auto focusing. If the light is low enough, and or the area where your AF setting is set to is very dark, and you’re set on a single point focus setting it will keep trying to catch the right focus and move in and out, and some times after a minute or more it might lock on, but wouldn’t depend on it. Glad you found one option to set to AE-L. I like to manually focus in those instances but that can be hit or miss in low light also, unless you have really good eyes. Thanks for informing me of the AE-L remedy. Hope is helps a little.
@Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was an "AE-L" flashing in my viewfinder, I got no credit!

I am somewhat used to manual focusing, but the autofocus is way faster than me. That said, the autofocus sometimes focus on the wrong area, so I don't dislike manual.

Congrats on the new setup!! I just got my d3400 a month ago and am loving it.

Congrats on the d3400!

Those are great cameras for sure. I am really enjoying using it. I find myself finding opportunities to get out and try shots.

Most reactions

Back