Used Equipment

GregR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So where does everyone go to buy used equipment? I have of course looked at the usual places and while I've bought and sold on Ebay the prices often just don't seem that great.

I have found B&H from searching on the forum, but haven't seen a bunch so thought I would just ask directly :)

Craiglist is good too

For used I've bought from eBay. I've sold a bit on Craigslist, and KEH is a reliable source. Most find their rating system to be conservative (They may rate it as "bargain", but the llens is in excellent shape), so that's good.

Most of the used stuff I've bought has been on e-bay

I bought my 50d with 28-135mm usm lens with battery and charger for cheaper than anything I could find elsewhere that was used, keep an eye out, deals can be found on ebay.

Ebay is so dam convient to sell on but they rape you with the monthly invoice that takes like 20% back of your sales

90% of my photography gears were bought used from craigslist or ebay. You just need to be patient and sometimes act fast. I miss 2 great deals recently on craigslist.

One is a 5D mk1 with 2 lenses and 550ex flash for $750 (the owner said I was the first one to call and will not accept any other offer. But the next day, he said his wife sold it)
The other one is today ... I saw the posting and called right away (15 mins after the posting) But it's too late. $1300 for 50mm F/1.8, 70-300mm USM IS, 28-135 USM IS, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8, Sigma 10-20mm, 420ex flash, 580ex flash, 30D and accessories, battery grip for 30D pelican case that can holds the stuff mentioned.

Anyway, you just need to check often on craigslist and ebay for good deals. And need to do your own research on how much a item worth.

Greg
Are you looking for anything in particular?

Yes and no, I want to get the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro but in general would browse around and look for the right deal to replace the kit lenses I have with something better.

i have heard B&H's used dept. is relieable, checked out the selection on ritz the other day, ritz has a better selection tho

I have bought used photography gear from:

private sellers that listed on Amazon.com
B&H Photo Video's used department
KEH.com

I only buy used equipment when the seller accepts payment through Paypal, so both myself and the seller have some protections.

I just recently bought my first DSLR used through Adorama.com. Selection was great and the customer service was wonderful. I'd definitely recommend them.

Most reactions

Back