used or new dslr for beginner

brody1021

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first dslr. I am very confused with what to buy.....so many options. I have no plans on being a professional photographer, just want to be able to take some nice photos and maybe put some on my wall... Maybe in the future I might want to upgrade to a better camera, so lense compatibility is important. I would like to be able to use the lenses I buy now if i decide to upgrade the body in the future.
I have been looking at some used older dslr's.... nikon d50, canon 20d....($200-$300 with kit lense)
or
new nikon d3000 or canon xs ($400-500 with kit lense)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the idea of buying a used camera for the price savings, but am I wasting my money?
I have been told just to buy a cheap used camera at first and spend money on lenses, but have also been told just to buy a new camera to save problems from buying used older technology.
Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you too, I am looking for a DSLR. I am taking a basic photography class at my college (just taking for fun/hobby) and found out we need to get a DSLR camera within about a month. So I'm looking like crazy at the moment and selling a few things privately to get some camera money. I'm just curious as well as to what to get too. Any suggestions for us from the pros here?:D

Interested in used stuff? There are usually good deals in the for sale section of this forum and also your local craigslist. You can usually benchmark the prices being asked per what ebay is bringing for the same model/condition.

buying a cheaper body and spending all remaining cash on glass is a good strategy, especially if you're planning to do photography in the long run. good glass makes a bigger difference than a good body on picture quality. the thing you have to watch about buying old bodies is the technology thats inside (image processor etc). buying a really old body may have you wanting to upgrade to something better in a VERY short time. the D50 isnt a bad place to start.. (it was in the "pro-sumer" range). personally though, i would go for the new stuff, for two reasons, it lasts you longer and im just a sucker for new stuff haha xD

Thanks, I just found my way to the sale section on here. Used stuff is fine with me, lol poor college guy just needing to get a camera. I'm actually majoring in Computer Information Technology and just dabbling in some photo stuff now. I've been all over my local craigslist stuff and found some good stuff, just don't have the money as of yet.

yea I'm not looking to do it professionally or anything, but I do want to take some good photos. Thanks for the input!

You need to be aware that there are some major camera sub-systems that have a finite lifetime, and that used gear does not usually include any warranty.

The main concern needs to be the shutter mechanism.

Low end entry-level cameras have shutters that are expected to have an average life of about 50,000 shutter actuations. At the high end of the entry-level category some of the cameras having 100,000 actuation, Nikon's D90 for example.

One way to save some money over buying new is to buy gear that has been refurbished by the camera maker, not a 3rd party. Nikon refurbished gear comes with a 90 day warranty. Many Nikon authorized sellers of refurbished gear add their own warranty for 9 additional months, so you have coverage for an entire year, Nikon's normal warranty period.

Refurbished gear is actually checked over more thoroughly than production line units. Most production line units don't get any special attention.

thanks for the advice so far.......if i could find a good quality used dslr for 200 bucks(nikon d50 body) or a brand new d3000 $400 with lens kit........which one is better money spent? Is the D3000 that much better. The only issue I have with the D3000 and other entry level Nikon models is that you must buy the lenses with the motor in the lens. If i eventually want to upgrade to a higher level camera like a D80/90 would that extra money spent on the more expensive lenses be wasted????

assuming that you buy lenses that have the focusing motor built in, it wont be a waste of money. going from a d80/90 to a d3000 would be a waste of money if you accidentally bought older lenses that DO NOT have the motor inside

the majority of "more expensive lenses" have the motors built in, unless you're searching for some legacy, ultrarare, made in the 1920s glass

i guess that shows my ignorance...... i just had the understanding that all the higher level nikon cameras had the motors build into the body and thus did not need the motor in the lens? But I do not know much about this topic.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back