Used studio lighting compatible with Canon XSi?????

D4_billie78

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I just bought some used studio lighting, and I don't know if the hot shoe is compatible with my Canon XSi. The lights are Photogenic Powerlight 750 and the Hot Shoe is Safe Converter.....That's all it says.

I'm new to this so I don't even know if I'm explaining it properly...sorry

Any help would be great! Thanks

Studio lights are compatible with any camera...it's just a matter of triggering them.

The one thing to watch out for, is if the lights have a very high trigger voltage, then it might fry the camera's flash circuit...but if you have something like Safe Converter, that is there to protect the camera, so you are probably OK. Modern cameras have a higher tolerance than many older cameras, so it's probably OK anyway.

So I'd suggest you try it out. Turn on the lights and connect a light to the camera via that hot-shoe converter. Put the camera into M mode and give it a go.

Another way to go, would be a wireless trigger. That way, the camera's not physically connected to the lights and you have no cables to trip over.

Expanding on wirless, you can find triggers like the Cactus V4 for $30 for a set one the cheap end, or the Paul C. Buff Cyber syncs for a little over $100 on the mid range.

Thanks Mike!! and Village Idiot....love the name......that helps alot thank you!!!!!
Nice to see that a fellow Edmontonian answered my question ;)

Glad to be of some help....and I'm glad to see another Edmontonian around here.

If you have any other questions, don't be shy.

Hey Mike, I tried it out and nothing happened. I think hot shoe is not for a Canon or something. The chick I bought it from had a Nikon and it worked fine. Do oyu know where I can get a hot shoe or whatever that is for a Canon and won't cost a million dollars. There are some at McBain but they are 300 bucks (wireless) anywhere else in Edmonton you know of? Thanks!!!!!

Nikon and Canon have the same basic hotshoe...same shape with the main contact in the centre. Make sure it's all the way into the hotshoe and make sure all your connections are hooked up properly.

You can get a cheap wireless system, just not locally. I've ordered a couple like this...Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4

They are nice and cheap and work well enough...but they don't seem to be as reliable as the more expensive options. I now use Cyber Syncs AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

Most reactions

Back