Used vs New, what to look for?

gregtallica

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

pardon my n00bsmanship, I've spent as much time researching with the lovely search tool, but I'm not finding much information on what to look for when purchasing used.

I have just received my tax return, and my hopes are to purchase my very own first DSLR. I've spent a lot of time using and playing with other DSLR's (D5100 mainly), and own a 35mm SLR Minolta. Based on a bunch of my research, I think that the D7000 is what I want to go with. I don't plan/want to go pro, just have a creative outlet. Concert photography is kind of my first specs I want to meet, but will use this camera for everything else I may feel like shooting.

Anyway, part of me is considering getting the D7k kit with the 18-105 or the 18-200 off of Amazon brand new. I would like to stay cheaper, but for my intended use, I imagine this should last me 5+ years easily which would make $1500 fine. However, I'm seeing these body only for $650-750 and up locally. If I were to buy used, what kind of things should I look for?

So far, I know the shudders are rated for 150k clicks, but I'm wondering how quickly that comes up. Like, should I be staying away from anything 50k+ or watch for a certain range? I'm not sure if there are other kind of quirks I should look for or ask about, like physical or software issues...

I currently have access to a 50mm prime and the D5100 kit lens, but I feel that the 18-200 would get me so much range that it would be a great general use camera, and depending on how into it I'm getting, a fast wide angle zoom for concert photos/fun later on.

hope this isn't tl;dr for you guys. Thanks in advance, you have some really supportive members which is awesome.

Buying new is always the safest purchase. However, many people (myself included) really baby their equipment and buying used from them is a pretty safe purchase. If you know the person you are buying used from then that is a good way to go. KEH, Adorama, and B&H just to mention a few retailers, offer a warranty with their used equipment. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from one of them.

Oh, I totally forgot about B&H. Thanks for the recommendation GB!

For me it's pretty much "does it work?" and then I make sure the price matches the amount of wear.. for example..I bought a d300 for $400 roughly a year ago. The reason I paid so little for it is because it had over 250k on the shutter. (claimed professional use) It's still going though with no signs of letting go, so I wouldn't let shutter count bug you too much..

of course, with that said, I won't be surprised if my shutter does die, but at the price I paid, i'll still be under the average used d300 price with the addition of a new shutter... probably anyway..

...i would really research things like shutter count/price.That should give you a pretty good barometer.I'm thinking for $750.00 used,it would be under a few thousand...maybe 5000.I've seen them new for $849.00.You can just google "FS D7000" and that should give you a start.I've been fotunate buying used,online.However,I do have confidence that between my paypal,and my credit card company,I won't get hung out to dry.Thankfully,I've never run into a dispute.

BH has them used for 8-9 condition about $700. Though I'm not sure if they publish the snap count. I think this might be my option. The same set up I found on Amazon that I think would fit my needs (d7k, 18-200) is like $300-400 cheaper used on BH.

Thanks for the help, players :thu:

I've never bought a new camera body, and buy used lenses whenever possible.

The key is to buy from someone reputable. Someone like KEH or B&H will do a pretty good check on the camera to make sure it's 100% working order.

This makes me feel really confident in the product, especially if I've taken the chance to look over the camera before purchasing...

Look at the serial number. A quick google (works best if you can do it on your iphone) will give you the year of manufacture. (You'll see online that someone with serial 560 bought their camera in 2011, so you know your camera at 561 must be at least 2011)

Then take a memory card, put it into the camera body, and take some shots. You can check the EXIF for the shutter count.

I did this and saved maybe a grand on my D700. I couldn't be happier and bought a camera with 3k shutter clicks, that couldn't have been more than a year old based on serial number.

I also got my zeiss 28mm this way -- got a couple hundred off a lens I was going to buy new because it was a display version.

So, if you look, there's plenty of deals out there. The downside is you're probably REALLY wanting that d7000 now...

shout-out to another SLC resident!

Adorama currently has a Nikon refurbished D7000 for $749 (w/ Nikon Warranty). IMHO that's a great option. I don't have a problem buying 'older' bodies used... but with refurb D7000's being so close to used prices i'd go for the Warranty.

There are some GREAT sources to buy used gear in the SLC area. Head over to facebook and search for the SLC photo garage sale group. Also check out the KSL classified website. I've used both sites to get some amazing deals on equipment (plus you can meet the people your buying from and test the gear first hand).

I've had my D7000 since it came out and its been a great camera... you'll love it.

You do have to look around though...

Like here:

Nikon Digital D7000 16.2 MEGAPIXEL WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER (SD CARD ) REFURBISHED, DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

You save $150 over a new one at amazon:

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Not such a great deal (although it is a 15% discount)

But if you look around you might find a $300 or more discount

The problem is you really need some patience.

They are, for instance, rumoured to be about the announce the D7100

If they do, prices for the D7000 will drop...

It's all about timing

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welp, just pulled the trigger on a refurb D7000 from BH, $750.

Rather than getting a lens today and slamming my bank account, I'm going to just borrow my girlfriends 50mm or 18-55 that came with her D5100. Next paycheck or so, after probably more researching, I will get a lens. I'm currently thinking the 18-200, since it looks like it can do such a wide range.

@TheLost Thanks man! I watched our KSL classifieds for a while, but I really hate buying/selling locally here. Everyone is a ripoff. I've been buying/selling/trading lots of music gear locally here, everyone lists at 10% above cost, and gives you garbage lowball offers hahaha. I'll check out the FB group!

...So, if you look, there's plenty of deals out there. The downside is you're probably REALLY wanting that d7000 now...

That's typically my BIGGEST problem. hahahaha. I've been scoping these things out for over a year though, looks like $750 on a refurb is pretty standard, but pretty good. Sure beats the $900 brand new.

I only buy used!!!
Adorama all the way!!!
My D300, SB-800, MB-D10, 17-55 F2.8 & 80-200 F2.8 all used from adorama... with warranty!! No worries!!!

Can I ask one more question?

So, one feature of this camera I like is the built in auto-focus motor. Does this mean it will work with any Nikon mount auto-focus lens, new or old? In other words, if I just search BH Photo for Nikon mount, any auto-focus lens will focus. Correct?

I thought that's what I have read, but don't want any surprises. I heard FX lens will still mount, but won't look/react the same, and any AF lens or AF-S lenses will work.

Can I ask one more question?

So, one feature of this camera I like is the built in auto-focus motor. Does this mean it will work with any Nikon mount auto-focus lens, new or old? In other words, if I just search BH Photo for Nikon mount, any auto-focus lens will focus. Correct?

I thought that's what I have read, but don't want any surprises. I heard FX lens will still mount, but won't look/react the same, and any AF lens or AF-S lenses will work.

Yes, it'll be able to focus older non-afs lenses. I don't understand the 2nd part of your question.. about FX lenses not looking/reacting the same, unless you just mean the crop factor.. (focal length + 1.5) example, 50mm will have a 75mm equivalent on a crop sensor.

Pro equipment should always be bought used, unless your the type that enjoys burning money for fun

Quality pro gear is built to handle war zones and outerspace. A few years of typical use is nothing.

Plastic consumer grade equipment is more suspect as it requires gentle hands to stay in good working order.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back