useing out of date film, including 35mm.

vin88

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently aquired a canon 35mm camera with many rolls of un used 400 asa color film. how can you determine the exp. date? my guess is the date was on the box the film can was in. vin

Sans the box, you can't.

I don't think there is a way but I may be wrong. I'm looking at a roll of Kodak Color Plus 200 and it doesn't have anything on it. I would shoot a roll over-exposed by a stop, then another roll by two stops and compare. With expired color film, not knowing how it was kept, I usually just over-expose by 2 stops. There is usually enough latitude to get good results. If not kept well, you will get some serious color casting that will be difficult, if not impossible to fix. Good news is, you can convert it in post to black & white.

I don't think there is a way but I may be wrong. I'm looking at a roll of Kodak Color Plus 200 and it doesn't have anything on it. I would shoot a roll over-exposed by a stop, then another roll by two stops and compare. With expired color film, not knowing how it was kept, I usually just over-expose by 2 stops. There is usually enough latitude to get good results. If not kept well, you will get some serious color casting that will be difficult, if not impossible to fix. Good news is, you can convert it in post to black & white.
thanks; ill do a 2 stop up and gamble with 24 frames. "convert it in post"? you mean trade it for black and white? that sounds like a good idea. vin

thanks; ill do a 2 stop up and gamble with 24 frames. "convert it in post"? you mean trade it for black and white? that sounds like a good idea. vin

Yes, trade it. That's if it has a bad color shift, which tends to happen with poorly kept film.

I don't know what brand it is, but you could try looking up logos and get some idea how old (maybe what decade/era). I remember seeing a website that showed the various Kodak logos over the years but can't remember what it was - might have been Kodak's site.

Some people experiment with expired film; think about the subject and sometimes it can work to get some funky colors. Sometimes not! lol

I don't know what brand it is, but you could try looking up logos and get some idea how old (maybe what decade/era). I remember seeing a website that showed the various Kodak logos over the years but can't remember what it was - might have been Kodak's site.

Some people experiment with expired film; think about the subject and sometimes it can work to get some funky colors. Sometimes not! lol

It is fun, for about a minute LOL

I have some 20 year old Agfa. It delivers good color and reasonable grain. Been refrigerated all it's life other than a couple days shipping when I bought from the original owner. His 'fridge went south and he sold it cheap. I sold some to limr and she got some decent results. I won't use it on critical stuff but shooting for fun it is fine.

Used a 10yrs expired fujicolor 200... with these results ( Leica M6 & Summicron 50/2.0). On the last pic you can see the effect cause of high UV in the mountains.
IMG_20180828_093656_173.jpeg
IMG_20180828_093910_580.jpeg
B009710-R1-30-29.jpeg
B009710-R1-32-31.jpeg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
If it's DX coded, there is a lot of information in the bar code on the processed film. It was read by printing machines, like kodak "S" and Gretag and others in labs. Some of that may be a manufacture date but how it could be read these days is unknown to me. Good luck.

The storage nuances mean everything. I used slide film frozen for 20 years with great results, while color negative could not survive 7, becoming almost impossible to get image from. Don't worry, only test is good answer to your questions.

negatives and slides are a different problem. black and white negatives seem to last forever, even those on glass plates. my color negs are in good shape, just need a way to get them on a "disk".

Most reactions

Back