User Settings (U1 & U2)

s_marolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm curious if anyone uses the two user setting options on their camera? If so what settings or scenarios do you use them for?

I understand how to set them I just haven't figured out a reason to use them yet. I generally shoot in aperture priority mode with the ISO limit set at 3200 or 6400 and I change the min shutter speed based upon the lens I use. Maybe I could use them to differentiate between lenses?

U1 : Manual exposure, auto ISO.
U2 : Manual exposure, manual ISO.

I shoot U1 90% of the time and switch over to U2 in tricky lighting situations.

U2 : Manual exposure, manual ISO

What's the advantage of having U1 set up like this versus just having the manual mode set the way you use most and having U2 set as the one you use less frequently?

Last edited:
When I had a Nikon I had U1 set up as my "sports" mode with those settings and U2 set up as my "portrait" mode. Since I was mainly shooting landscapes and flowers, those I set myself and I would only switch to U1 or U2 if I was going to a game or taking a people photo.

What's the advantage of having U1 set up like this versus just having the manual mode set the way you ise most and having U2 set as the one you use less frequently?

Those are the only two modes I shoot with. So why not?

Weird...I have U1 and U2 set up the same way as 480sparky...huh...

What's the advantage of having U1 set up like this versus just having the manual mode set the way you use most and having U2 set as the one you use less frequently?

Since 2013, using the D3x and now the D610, those two modes are the ones I use most-often. The sensor in both those FX Nikons is good enough that I can shoot most things at whatever ISO is needed to get the speed and f/stop I desire, even in fast-changing situations: that is the reason for being for AUTO ISO in Manual exposure mode.

In some situations, ISO is an absolute priority, or must be held constant, or can be used as a way to change things in the final shot (like using LOW ISO values for long, timed exposures; with studio flash I WANT to be in total control of my ISO value, as well as my f/stop, and my shutter speed is held constant. In this way, the U2 mode is all-manual, and has my ISO value set by me, my speed set by me, and my f/stop set by me.

Most reactions

Back