Uses for Malfunctioning Lenses

Nintendoeats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 55-200 lens suffers from softness and chromatic aberration, enough so that it isn't really of any use. Being a tinkerer my inclination is to take it apart and see how it works, then turn it into a shot glass or something. However, before I do that is there any method of repairing such things, or other uses for a very soft lens that you can think of?

Since it is a very soft lens, it should be quite safe to test whether it is short or long throw.

My 55-200 lens suffers from softness and chromatic aberration, enough so that it isn't really of any use. Being a tinkerer my inclination is to take it apart and see how it works, then turn it into a shot glass or something. However, before I do that is there any method of repairing such things, or other uses for a very soft lens that you can think of?

Yup, I had one. I sold it to a camera store, glad to be rid of it. That thing was horrible in every way compared to my Fujifilm 55-200, not even close. Sell to MPB or Adorama, or KEH. You ain't gonna learn much taking that plastic paper weight apart.

Yup, I had one. I sold it to a camera store, glad to be rid of it. That thing was horrible in every way compared to my Fujifilm 55-200, not even close. Sell to MPB or Adorama, or KEH. You ain't gonna learn much taking that plastic paper weight apart.

Are you saying that this lens is naturally this bad? I had no intention of reselling it on the basis that I thought it was broken. Honestly, I still don't think I could.

It's a turd of a lens. Sell it. Than someone on here 6 months downs the road will come on here and say it's a turd but people on here will tell him he sucks, keep practicing, etc, etc. It's just a piece of crap, sorry. Clarify, it's a piece of crap compared to a fujifilm 55-200. My experience. It's a crap lens. Chances of a good copy are limited, real limited. That's kinda how it went down for me. But I have no skill so I bought it. It can be transformed into a usable lens but you have to establish that artistic endeavor.

Target practice..... 300 yards with a .308.

It can be transformed into a usable lens but you have to establish that artistic endeavor.

Among audiophiles there is an expression, "garbage in garbage out". My policy in all things is never to do with your source what you can do just as easily in post.

This duff lens you have might make a nice dreamy-effect type lens if paired with a white diffusion filter, or a black net diffusion filter, or a fog filter. Since the focal length is longer, the 135mm to 200mm range would likely be the best for use on misty seascapes, or foggy-day shots, or for over-exposed floral shots etc.. Longer focal lengths tend to work better with a number of diffusing and misty-type filters.

Some things, like diffusing highlights into the shadow-tone areas in a scene, are far better done in the camera, and can not be done in the same way by pushing pixels around after the fact, in an image editing application.

I've got a pretty soft Nikon 70-300 G, the first version, the "old one", which pairs quite well with diffusion and fog filters, in the 150 to 300mm range; if a lens HAS some strong chromatic aberration, that can actually be a plus!

the soft lens is worth saving. if you have camera repair experience, you can et it apart. vin88

Most reactions

New Topics

Back