Uses for the ubiquitous 35mm film canister.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While out camping last summer, I was using a small sewing kit I had assembled in an empty 35mm film canister. A neighboring camper inquired where I had purchased those little 'Rubbermaid Containers". (Needless to say, she was in her 20's. :048:)

So it got me thinking..................... What DO you use empty 35mm canisters for?

37639-1515631813-1a69f9838ef54bfd96045ac88edcf545.jpg

And by 'you', I mean YOU. I'm sure there's a million and one possibilities, so let's start listing them here.

Notice: Please do not suggest anything that is ingested (food, medication etc) or anything that's medical. Given they are not 'food grade' or sterilized, let's not make someone sick!

Besides my sewing kit, I use a white one as a diffuser for my camping flashlight.

37640-1515632671-ba04359698dc52cbe8570e09fb2bb25f.jpg

Makes my flashlight into a great lantern.... without having to carry a lantern! Depending on the setting of the flashlight, I have a bright light to illuminate the entire site, or a gentle night-light for those middle-of-the-night trips to behind the tree.

I also carry my Nikon WU-1a and WU-1b wi-fi units in one as well.

So what do you use them for?

I uh... don’t own any. But when I was a kid we used to keep spare change in one in the car for toll money.

Great to store various camera parts ... as long as you label them ... wish I kept the clear ones.
... also, it is shaped in such a way to keep 35mm film in ... like it was made for that purpose ?

Funny you mention this, I don't use them often, but I have a bunch of misc. little screws for computers I keep in two of them in my "repair kit."

Another hobby of mine is electronics and I have used them to encase small circuit boards.

Also, as storage for small parts and a place to bathe small parts in solvent or other liquids for cleaning purposes.

They are so handy. Several sets of reusable earplugs in my shooting bag.

I'm a former Boy Scout. Farmers matches...or what they now call "strike anywhere" matches. Cut the stick down to fit. I've been through heck and back. Everything else might be wet, but my matches are always dry. Also have several mini sewing kits in hunting or go bags. Haven't had to sew much, but the needle comes in handy when you have a nasty sliver. Always prepared.

As per your rules, I can't list the other uses. In my younger days....:angel:

While out camping last summer, I was using a small sewing kit I had assembled in an empty 35mm film canister. A neighboring camper inquired where I had purchased those little 'Rubbermaid Containers". (Needless to say, she was in her 20's. :048:)

So it got me thinking..................... What DO you use empty 35mm canisters for?
They fit well int0 my fishing vest pockets. Hold split shot, hook assortments, etc. etc.

And by 'you', I mean YOU. I'm sure there's a million and one possibilities, so let's start listing them here.

Notice: Please do not suggest anything that is ingested (food, medication etc) or anything that's medical. Given they are not 'food grade' or sterilized, let's not make someone sick!

Besides my sewing kit, I use a white one as a diffuser for my camping flashlight.

Makes my flashlight into a great lantern.... without having to carry a lantern! Depending on the setting of the flashlight, I have a bright light to illuminate the entire site, or a gentle night-light for those middle-of-the-night trips to behind the tree.

I hang onto them intending to use them for something (I inherited a very strong packrat/junk collector gene from my dad), then throw a large batch out when I realize they're just cluttering up the place.

They do seem like useful things, but other than the occasional need for storing something tiny, I have a hard time finding much use for them.

They fit well int0 my fishing vest pockets. Hold split shot, hook assortments, etc. etc.

It's difficult to find your post when it's embedded along with the quote.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of us don't HAVE a local camera store.
The closest to me is a 2 hour drive round trip.

Some of us don't HAVE a local camera store.
The closest to me is a 2 hour drive round trip.

So maybe you can meet someone you know while you're in town, and maybe have lunch (hint hint!). :biggrin-93:

I use one to keep some spare button batteries which operate the shutter release and or light meter.

Most reactions

Back