USGP Motocross at Glen Helen for C+C

jeph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the USGP over the weekend. It was amazing. Those dudes are so fast. Took over 1000 pictures here are a handful that I like. C+C if you please.

DSC_4078.jpg

DSC_4367.jpg

DSC_4282.jpg

DSC_4253.jpg

DSC_4094.jpg

I know that there are a lot of pics for C+C but if its too many maybe just pic one or two and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
Number 5 is abit blurred for my liking. Number 4 stands out the best i really like the composition in which you captured the shot. Number 2 i find abit blurred to but altogether nice shots!

Thanks, I was kinda relying on the flash to do the action stopping for me. I was panning as fast as I could just to get these.

really like # 3

A little to over exsposed for my taste and some focus issues...but good eye and captures.

Good on you for using the speedlight. :thumbup:

It's tough to get a fast enough flash duration in daylight with a speedlight. One trick is to focus the beam tighter (zoom) but drop a power level to get a shorter duration while opening the lens up a stop or so.

Good compositions too.

Thanks for the imput everyone

Good on you for using the speedlight. :thumbup:

It's tough to get a fast enough flash duration in daylight with a speedlight. One trick is to focus the beam tighter (zoom) but drop a power level to get a shorter duration while opening the lens up a stop or so.

Good compositions too.

Are you talking about manualy zooming the beam of the flash? I didn't even know that I could do that/don't know that I can do that. In the weeks before the even I focused on shotting with the flash and manualy ballancing the flash and the ambient light. When I got to the event I was mostly shooting with the 70-200 until I saw the opportunity to get real close to the riders. Once I was there I completely forgot about anything manual and just started going. I always forget to change those damn settings.

The devil is in the details and attention to the details is usually what separates a pro from a, a, a, not pro.

What speedlight are you using? Not many can zoom to 200 mm.

Do you know what a snoot is?

I have a SB 600. I don't think that it will go to 200. I do know what a snoot is however I have never used one. I suppose I could make one and play around with it. How would you use a snoot for this shot and what would you expect to get out of it? I am pretty far from pro, thats for sure. It would be nice though.

I have a SB 600. I don't think that it will go to 200. I do know what a snoot is however I have never used one. I suppose I could make one and play around with it. How would you use a snoot for this shot and what would you expect to get out of it? I am pretty far from pro, thats for sure. It would be nice though.
The SB-600 can only zoom to 85mm. Trackside that might be enough.

The snoot would let you tighten the beam of light.

Cereal boxes, velcro, and gaffer tape are good for making your own snoots.

Strobist: Lighting 101: Cereal Box Snoots and GoBo's

Most reactions

Back