Using a gray card

Son of moejoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to 35mm photography, black and white to be specific. I have an asahi pentax sp1000. I am learning to work with a gray card at the moment. I have a question for those who can help me. When shooting in low light areas or outside but in a shaded area, how and where should I read my gray card.

If my subject is in the light and I am in the shadows where do I take my reading?

How do I get an accurate reading in low light areas with no flash?

Also, I want to invest in a light meter. What kind do I need? Ambient etc...

8)

Son of moejoe said:
I am new to 35mm photography, black and white to be specific. I have an asahi pentax sp1000. I am learning to work with a gray card at the moment. I have a question for those who can help me. When shooting in low light areas or outside but in a shaded area, how and where should I read my gray card.

If my subject is in the light and I am in the shadows where do I take my reading?

How do I get an accurate reading in low light areas with no flash?

Also, I want to invest in a light meter. What kind do I need? Ambient etc...

8)

For a meter, when working with the 18% gray card I would suggest a spot meter, but then again that would be overkill for a 35mm camera. The reason I suggest it is its ability to meter light in any conditions, giving you a very accurate number for exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back