using a red and circular polarizer together

meesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! Just curious...what kind of effect would you get using a red and circular polarizer filter together for B&W film photography? Would you ever recommend it? Any samples?

You can try it quite easily. Put a polariser on your lens and take a picture. Then in photoshop or another image editing program look at the red channel in greyscale only and you will see exactly how it will turn out.

Watchout when stacking filters as it will often cause vignetting at the extreme wide angle of the lens.

Nah, don't do it that way.

Your sky will most likely turn pitch black and anything red would become white. the polarizer would cut down on reflections. You're going to want to have your red filter on and the poarizer on top of that so you can still rotate it.

red filters block blue light and let in red light. so you get the dark skys with white clouds effect. A polarizer further enhances this effect.

all of my B&W outside pics are shot with a polarizer and a red filter.
if you use digital, it doesnt make sence to use a red filter because you can add it later in photo shop, but with film, no such luck

here is an example
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/wewillfighttheheathens/goldengate2.jpg

When using two filters, remember that the filter factors should be multiplied [not added] before determining the f-stop correction.

so if my red filter with a 2 stop reduction and my polarizer with a 1 stop reduction get multiplied i get a total of 2 stops reduction....that doesnt make sence....
unless you do it where the red filter is 4 and the polarizer is 2 which gives you a 4 stop reduction...but im pretty sure that i only see a three stop reduction when using that combo....

awesome photo fight... ok so another question- if im using my in camera meter, doesnt it do the metering according to the filters? i wouldnt have to bracket would i? hey fight did you have the red filter on the lens first and then add the polarizer?

crap....lost a whole post....

anyway, if you have TTL metering, (through the lens) your camera will compensate for the filters.
I have a Cokin system so i have to put the polarizer first, then the red filter.
I focus, and meter and compose with the red and polarizer on. The red lets me see in black and white.

Most reactions

Back