Using a ten year old camera?

If you're going to use a 10 year old camera, you might as well use a cellphone camera.

If you're not going to think before you type, you might as well stfu.
It was well thought of. Do you have a problem with cellphone cameras?

I will use my 10 year old camera long before my cell phone! In fact, I will use my 30 year old camera before I consider a cellphone.
Me too. However, cell phone camera's are producing the most photo's these days and really have some impressive optics in a small package. For many, they are good enough.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you're going to use a 10 year old camera, you might as well use a cellphone camera.

I will use my 10 year old camera long before my cell phone! In fact, I will use my 30 year old camera before I consider a cellphone.
Me too. However, cell phone camera's are producing the most photo's these days and really have some impressive optics in a small package. For many, they are good enough.

I agree. My main issue is ergonomics. I can't seems to hold my phone still. Lol

I was in vacation in London last year (and Florida the year before). I found myself using my iPhone 4s far more than the D810 and D700 I had with me.
The best thing about a phone camera is that it is there. You can put it on Instagram. You don't have to remember to bring a camera.
Given the OPs propensity to leave cameras at home, a cellphone would very well be the best possible solution in this case.
Cellphone pictures vs no pictures at all - your call.

I see. I've never been on instagram. Or twitter for that matter. I do realize most people "share" pictures that way.

You are maybe not of the generation who has the cellphone perpetually within one's Palm. My phone is almost always within reach and I can take a photo within 5s of seeing the shot I want to get.
And it's always with me.

You can share the photos on Facebook or what's app

You are maybe not of the generation who has the cellphone perpetually within one's Palm. My phone is almost always within reach and I can take a photo within 5s of seeing the shot I want to get.
And it's always with me.

You can share the photos on Facebook or what's app
Yup, that's what they use it for. I don't don't do either Facebook or the other.

I just bought a 17 year old DSLR.

On purpose.

I plan on taking photographs with it.

Why?

Well, because as it turns out, what you have is far less important than what you do with it.

Use what you've got, get what you like, and have fun.

But the capabilities of a 17 year old DSLR would not compare to a modern micro43 camera. And the OMD EM10 mk2 is sooooo much smaller and easier to carry around.

But the capabilities of a 17 year old DSLR would not compare to a modern micro43 camera. And the OMD EM10 mk2 is sooooo much smaller and easier to carry around.

And?

I will have just as much fun with my 17 year old dinosaur as you will with yiur new mirrorless olympus. Unless you're a pro or a perfectionist the age of the tool doesn't matter.

I've built guitars with 100 year old jointer planes that I enjoy just as much as modern guitars built with 1 year old cnc machines, and a 150 year old cast iron dutch oven can make a mighty tasty cake.

Put less faith in the tool than you do in the craftsman, and you will do just fine.

And?

I will have just as much fun with my 17 year old dinosaur as you will with yiur new mirrorless olympus. Unless you're a pro or a perfectionist the age of the tool doesn't matter.

I've built guitars with 100 year old jointer planes that I enjoy just as much as modern guitars built with 1 year old cnc machines, and a 150 year old cast iron dutch oven can make a mighty tasty cake.

Put less faith in the tool than you do in the craftsman, and you will do just fine.
Old CNC machines do the job. Old Dutch ovens haven't changed much. A new mirrorless camera is far lighter and convenient to carry around.

Old CNC machines do the job. Old Dutch ovens haven't changed much. A new mirrorless camera is far lighter and convenient to carry around.

We are obviously arguing two different points. I hope you enjoy your tools as much as I do mine.

We are obviously arguing two different points. I hope you enjoy your tools as much as I do mine.
To be honest I don't own a mirrorless camera. I've been meaning to get one. When I travel i usually borrow a friend's GM1 or something small. Next vacation I'm borrowing a OMD EM5.
I can't bear to spend that money on a toy which I'll only use while on vacation. I weigh the cost of a new camera vs a new recurve bow and I stick to my ol' D810.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back