Using GIMP--Help...lol

nikki2291

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I downloaded GIMP and I have a question for anyone who knows how to use it.
Say for example I had a picture with a stray branch that I couldn't crop out. I want to cut that branch out but keep everything behind the branch in the background. How do I do that?

~Nikki~

By buying photoshop.:)
Or, google grokking the gimp.

To remove something from the image you have to fudge it ( this goes for any package ) by replacing the bench ( or whatever ) with a guess of what is behind the bench. What I do is use the clone tool and clone items near the bench to replicate what I believe is behind the bench.

To remove something from the image you have to fudge it ( this goes for any package ) by replacing the bench ( or whatever ) with a guess of what is behind the bench. What I do is use the clone tool and clone items near the bench to replicate what I believe is behind the bench.

That's about right!

If it's the sky, then it's fairly easy. If it's a building or some other item of interest, then it gets much more tricky.

First off, choose the Clone tool (C on your keyboard). Then CTRL+click on a section of the sky (or whatever you want to replace) to set that as a reference point. Basically, the GIMP will paint from the reference point to wherever you clicked & dragged (you can see this if you paint). For this reason, it's important to constantly resample (CTRL+click in a slightly different place), so it doesn't look painted on. Also, I'd recommend choosing a fuzzy brush to minimize the slight colour changes in the sky.

It took me a while to get used to it, but try it on several different photos and you'll be fine. Good luck :D.

Okay, thanks guys. After you have the referance point and the line and stuff, what do you do/click after that?...lol..im such a noob when it comes to this...

~Nikki~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back