Using infrared filters on DSLR

Payt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sorry, I really did try searching, because I'm sure it's been answered. It seems like a dumb question, and I'm probably coming off looking foolish asking, but I would like a second and third opinion before I buy.

Anyways, since TPF has been so reliable in the past for me, I would like to ask whether an infrared filter, such as the Hoya IR R72, originally specified to work with infrared film, would also work properly when used with a digital sensor. I've been looking into using one with my rebel for quite some time.

Thanks
-Pat

Yes, it will give you a photo that is fairly close to a true IR image. But be warned, with the IR filter on, some cameras cannot meter the scene (or even autofocus, on some models, I believe). So to fix that, you manually expose and manually focus. But that's all you have to worry about. Oh, and don't even think about doing action shots with one of these. It stops your light wayyyy down and you need a long exposure even in the middle of the day.

Ah, very good. Yeah, I've seen how dark the glass is and realize what can and can't be done. As long as it will produce the same effect using a DSLR.

Thanks for your response!

P.S. Admins, feel free to scratch the thread if it's a hassle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back