Using Live View to adjust White Balance settings

Silverpenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpeters.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought this section of the site would be a good place to put it...hope you enjoy :D

Using Live View to change your White Balance

I've been toying with the idea of making videos to go along with the blog for a while now. I've started off with this simple tutorial but hope to eventually include equipment review videos and location shoot diaries etc. I've got a few ideas planned but shooting video is a whole new mind set that I am yet to master, so apologies if this first video isn't up to scratch...lots to learn!! Actually quite nervous about doing video for some reason lol. And seeing/hearing yourself on video is just plain wrong :er:

I currently only have a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 to shoot video with but at some point I'll get a DSLR that does video so I can get better quality footage...!

thats great, thanks alot. i know what you mean "hearing yourself on video is just plain wrong" - i hate that too, but you sound good. i could understand all of what you said and english is my third language. :)

i really find video's much easier to understand than just written tutorials...seeing is not like reading - i have been looking around for free video's that explain basic photography skills to watch but not much luck. there are no free video's that adress the matter in all directions - just bits here and there.

i'm no photography expert and being one i have a recommendation - from what i understand you're aiming for people who don't have much knowledge about photography - so i would suggest you put a couple of tips how to actually use those functions (like what a photographer should aim for with white balance, and what is the best white balance for a specific situation) - that would be Just great for all of us Noobs.

will be looking forward for some more videos.

thanks again!!

I myself only adjust white balance on my home calibrated monitor. I know that the colors on the screen on the back of a camera are not as close a calibrated monitor. Thats just me though.

SYZahran, you are very welcome. I have a few videos planned for the future so watch this space!

I myself only adjust white balance on my home calibrated monitor. I know that the colors on the screen on the back of a camera are not as close a calibrated monitor. Thats just me though.
A very valid point, the back LCD is obviously not calibrated. However, the back of the D3 is more than good enough to use to either get you in or close to the ball park - especially in those cases where Auto WB is completely wrong. I've used this method a few times and been happy with the results.

Camera LCD quality is probably a factor though, so it's a very valid point.

SYZahran, you are very welcome. I have a few videos planned for the future so watch this space!

A very valid point, the back LCD is obviously not calibrated. However, the back of the D3 is more than good enough to use to either get you in or close to the ball park - especially in those cases where Auto WB is completely wrong. I've used this method a few times and been happy with the results.

Camera LCD quality is probably a factor though, so it's a very valid point.

how do you know if your monitor is calibrated though?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back