Using other artists ideas

SteveEllis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I like this artists work and wouldnt mind trying a few of my own ideas based on their work.

http://www.bodyscapes.com *NSFW*

These would be for personal use only, but it got me thinking, I know you cant copyright an idea, but what is the legal and/or moral stance of using another artists ideas?

Steve.

There are probably very little 'truly original' ideas left when it comes to photographing people etc.

I don't see any problem at all with emulating other people's work...as long as you don't try to pass it off as your own original idea.

Sorry Guys, I totally didnt think about the work safe thing. Anyway, you shouldnt be surfing the web at work ;)

Point taken, its 10pm where I am, I dont have kids, wasnt thinking about work.

Anyway, I was hoping for a discussion about the morals and legalities of imitating other artist, not a NSFW discussion.

One of the exercises in a photography class I took...was to go through magazines and tear out pages that had photos that we liked and wanted to use.

Eventually, of course, you will develop your style...but it doesn't hurt to get ideas from other people.

LOL, we have more graphic images as part of advertisements on the sides of buses here in Europe.

Yeah I agree that most areas have probably been covered by some artistat some time. Does anyone know if the style in question has been covered by other artists or if it is only this guy.

Do you think that if any of my own work was shown that I should give credit to the artist as a source of inspiration?

I don't think it's immoral... in fact I'd be willing to bet more people's artistic ideas are derived from others. If it's really working on you maybe try to think how you can twist that idea enough to make it your own.

Sorry Guys, I totally didnt think about the work safe thing. Anyway, you shouldnt be surfing the web at work ;)

There is a difference between surfing a generally family-safe and work-safe photography website looking for information, and being redirected to a NSFW site without warning. :confused: I wonder how many minors and kids went to that link before it was changed? (thank-you for adding the NSFW, BTW :) )

Personally, I've seen worse and better... and I found myself thinking a couple of times "are they serious? what were they thinking??". I mean.... a bird's nest? Sounds like something a 16 year old on some major hormone overdose thought up... lol

As Mike said, there is truly very little in this hobby that has not already been done to death... and I personally do not think tha there is a better way to learn than to "copy" the techniques of the experts and use them as part of our repertiore for the sake of improving our skills... but using it in a manner above that for the sake of stating that we created or invented this... you won't last very long before someone straightens you out... lol.

I believe in taking advantage of the best of everyone I can, and not just one person, but as many as I can. :)

Alfred, Lord Tennyson said: "I am a part of all that I have met;..."

Run with it. Show your take.

If I were to do a similar 'people photography' thing, it'd be like the "Using Hot Chicks in Lingerie for Office Furniture", like I seen in National Lampoon 30 years ago or so. NSFW maybe, but that's why I'm self-employed.

If it spurns you on , (inspires) you then run with it and make something original out of the inspiration.

Exactly. What you are describing is inspiration. The majority of art that's ever been created started with some kind of inspiration and alot of that inspiration was other people's work. Just don't be a blatant copy cat and you'll be fine.

Edit: Now that I have actually viewed the link, this would pretty difficult to do without looking like a blatant copy cat but if the photos are strictly for personal use, go to it.

Exactly. What you are describing is inspiration. The majority of art that's ever been created started with some kind of inspiration and alot of that inspiration was other people's work. Just don't be a blatant copy cat and you'll be fine.

Edit: Now that I have actually viewed the link, this would pretty difficult to do without looking like a blatant copy cat but if the photos are strictly for personal use, go to it.

I disagree. They don't have to be for personal use. The only way this guy could get into trouble is to call himself "Bodyscapes" as well and try to pass himself off as the same person, or an extension of that person.

I've seen this idea before I ever saw that link.

FYI; Didn't like it the first time I saw it, don't like it now.

Most reactions

Back