Using Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs with Nikon SB700s

Evansmitty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have 2 Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs, 2 Nikon D300s' and 2 Nikon SB700s. I am having a hard time finding a convenient workflow to get the 3 devices to work together. I am a wedding photographer and we always use two shooters. I bought the Plus IIIs assuming they could communicate with the SB700s wirelessly. That doesn't seem to be possible. From my research, it seems that the only workflow available to me is to use a hotshoe sync cord adapter on the speed light and sync the transceiver to it (since the 700 does not have a sync port). The transceiver would need to be taped or mounted to the speed light. We would also need to buy two additional trancievers.

Does this sound accurate?
I had hoped I wouldn't need to invest in additional trancievers, does Pocket Wizard make simple recievers for use in this situation?
This workflow is extremely bulky and inconvenient for use with speed lights, is there a better way that I haven't thought of?

I use the a flextt5 on each flash, a minitt1 in camera, and an su800 on top of the mini. This setup works flawlessly. I don't know much about the plus III's though.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And personally, I would return them and do what I did. The mini sits nicely on the camera, and transmits the signal from the SU800 into RF, and connects nicely to the flex units. Also, both the mini and the flex have hot shoe mounts, so you don't need to worry about any sort of connection issues. Just put the flash on the flex, turn the flash on, then the flex, then the SU800, then the mini, then the camera, and shoot away! However, you can also use the flex as a transmitter on camera, and I have substituted the flex in for the mini when I was only using 1 flash (to see if it worked). So, for versatility sake, you may want to go with three flex units, if you don't mind the extra size/weight.

Jake

Most reactions

New Topics

Back