Using Vibration reduction

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Other than when you use a tripod is ther other situations when you should turn off VR on your lens as I have read on a website that if you are using shutter speeds of 1/500 and above you should turn VR off as it will be out of sinc with the picture and could make the image worse.

What are your toughts and views?

I generally leave VR turned off unless I need it; I'd not heard of the "Don't use over 1/500th" guideline.

Noted nature photog Bjorn Rorslett says that VR can affect the quality of bokeh in some situations. I've not compared VR ON versus VR OFF for bokeh rendering. I have had a few instances where I got some oddness in image sharpness when using my 70-200VR in bright summer conditions. It's hard to define the look of this, but it's kind of what a decentered element causes...only over the whole image. This was with the original 70-200 VR on the D2x. Since then, I have been pretty careful in switching VR OFF, unless I think or know it's needed.

I've heard (I think Derrel actually linked to an article about it in the past) that if you fire off a shot very fast when using VR/OS/IS before the system has had time to spin up you can have it blurr the shot. This is worth knowing for people shooting in a manner where they are likely manually focusing or prefocusing and then firing the shutter fully in a fast second (ergo not holding it half way, which engages VR/IS/OS, for a few moments).

Many modern systems can "detect a tripod" however in practice I've found that its iffy if it can actually pick up a tripod being used; especially if the shot is a slower shutter speed one. So yep on a tripod turn it off - same for if you're on a monopod - turn it off (unless you are panning shots - then in either case use mode 2)

I have not heard the 1/500th. I have read not to use VR with a tripod/monopod but I have taken nice football shots with VR on using a monopod.
Is mode 2 the same thing as the 'active' setting?

Whatever you do, do not read the information at the link I provided in post #5. :er:

Whatever you do, do not read the information at the link I provided in post #5. :er:

Ok. I won't read it right now. Later tho I will see the link and become omnipotent on the subject of VR. :)

One time I had the camera setting on a table outside using the self-timer for a release. I forgot to turn off the VR. All the shots came out very blurry.

If helpful links were money, you'd be Donald Trump, although I have no idea what your hair looks like.

I have not heard the 1/500th. I have read not to use VR with a tripod/monopod but I have taken nice football shots with VR on using a monopod.
Is mode 2 the same thing as the 'active' setting?

Ok I read it. What I have learned is that VR is another acronym for PFM. and that Nikon does know how it works or at least not how to relay it in plan English.
The best thing is to practice good holding, panning, and shooting techniques. Use support (tripod, monopod, tailgate, whatever) and shoot over 1/500 sec.
If you are lucky enough to be shooting from a helicopter turn VR on active and pray that your shooting techniques are good enough to get great pictures. And get strapped in well before takeoff.

Now, does it help if you are taking underwater photos?

Most reactions

Back