USS Nimitz sitting and waiting

macawlvr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here she sits waiting to be sunk in 200 ft of water. She will be used as an artificial reef for fishermen,divers and of course the fish will love this new environment. Jello/Dave my husband is excited about this he's a diver and can't wait to get down there.
The Patrol boat warned us off, we got a bit too close to her.
Enjoy and any C&C is always welcome.

6105-USS-NIMITZ.jpg

Geez - has it been that long? I was stationed in Scotland when she (Nimitz) made her maiden voyage from the States to Holyloch and went down to tour her. Shame to see her sunk already... Ought to make one helluva dive reef. Nice shot and thanks for the memory

Surely in 200ft of water she is going to pose a hazard? She must be all of that from keel to tops or even her girth must be that if she laid on her side. Sad end to a proud vessel - for all that a very pleasing image and all the better from being taken at sea level

http://www.visitflorida.com/cms/index.php/id=2045

Thanks everyone for your great comments on my photo of this awesome ship..above I inserted a site where you can go and get info on the depths of the sinking..and believe me there will be no hazards or cause any damage to the sealife or ocean. This sinking has been researched extensively.
IMO better to be sunk than sitting being of no use and rusting away in a boneyard, at least this way people can still enjoy her beauty and it will make a wonderful marine life preserve. Any hazardous material has been removed and the EPA and any other pertininent agencies has been through this ship with a fine toothed comb.

Trish,
I totally agree with the idea of providing some habitat to encorage the growth of sea life. My thought on providing a hazard was her size and the depth of water. They sank a ship over here in the UK some years ago only to find out that at real low water (about twice a year) she stuck up out of the sea and the rest of the time she was posted a s a hazard to shipping. The fish loved it as no one could go near the wreck so they were safe from the trawlers that fished that area. No I do agree better to give her back to the sea to fulfill a use than to have her beached and cut up to make billions of razor blades. That said again still a good image - something about her seemingly sat there awaiting her fate.

FOTO-GRAFFIC said:
Trish,
I totally agree with the idea of providing some habitat to encorage the growth of sea life. My thought on providing a hazard was her size and the depth of water. They sank a ship over here in the UK some years ago only to find out that at real low water (about twice a year) she stuck up out of the sea and the rest of the time she was posted a s a hazard to shipping. The fish loved it as no one could go near the wreck so they were safe from the trawlers that fished that area. No I do agree better to give her back to the sea to fulfill a use than to have her beached and cut up to make billions of razor blades. That said again still a good image - something about her seemingly sat there awaiting her fate.

Thanks Foto..since you know what you're talking about, I'll keep a sharp eye on the progress of this ship. And if she will be a hazard..I am a diver and fisherwoman so it's in my best interest! But I'm glad to have photo friends like you that know of things that have happened in the past, it will make me more aware:)

Most reactions

Back