UV Filter & Polarizer?

fdrotary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got a Polarizer as a gift from someone and decided to read a little about them on the forum. I never even thought about the fact that all polarizers weren't created equal and since mine was $20 i am pretty sure it's not all that great. Now i am curious though, are all UV filters created equal or do i need to get different ones?Thanks and if you could link a good polarizer and UV filter from B&H photo? I am assuming they ship to APO addresses but my connection here is horrid and it takes me about 5mins per page.Ps. Random wide angle question Sigma 10-20, or Canon 10-22? which is better?

Last edited:
I recently got a Polarizer as a gift from someone and decided to read a little about them on the forum. I never even thought about the fact that all polarizers weren't created equal and since mine was $20 i am pretty sure it's not all that great. Now i am curious though, are all UV filters created equal or do i need to get different ones?Thanks and if you could link a good polarizer and UV filter from B&H photo? I am assuming they ship to APO addresses but my connection here is horrid and it takes me about 5mins per page.Ps. Random wide angle question Sigma 10-20, or Canon 10-22? which is better?

This should help.

Tiffen | 52mm Digital HT (High Transmission) Circular | 52HTCP

Hoya | 52mm Circular Polarizing Pro 1Digital | XD52CRPL | B&H

B+W | 52 mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated (MC) | 66044838

Hoya | 52mm Circular Polarizer (HMC) Multi-Coated | A52CRPL

Any UV filter really will be fine. For me I use them only to add a layer of protection onto my lens. Any will surely work just fine.

As Far as the lens. Either would be fine though it really depends on which f/? you would be getting. Canon's higher end line seems to be better than most lenses, though Sigma is making some good glass theses days.

Cheers.... Hope this helps.

Adding a UV filter also adds an air gap that can contribute to lens flare. A low quality UV filter can also degrade your image quality to some extent.

A lens hood protects your lens front element from bumps and so forth while also helping to minimize lens flare and increase contrast. That's why good lenses come with a hood. A cheap lens hood won't degrade your image quality.

If your lens did not come with one, get a lens hood instead of a UV filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back