UV filter

raptorman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did some searching and reading about UV filters here, and it seems that Hoya is a pretty good brand and that a multi coated one is a must. I'm wondering though what the difference is between a 58mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Haze Multi-Coated Glass Filter and a 58mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Super Multi-Coated (S-HMC) Glass Haze Filter. Are these both good filters (for lens protection) and is the latter worth the price difference? Thanks!

I just picked up a Teffin haze filter yesterday. I can't answer your question myself but I can tell you what I did. I went into a small camera store in downtown albuquerque and told them what I wanted to accomplish with my filter. They brought 3 out that they recommended and explained why they recommended them. After deciding which one I wanted based on the information they provided I purchased it from them. I wound up paying a bit more than I would have online but I think buying my accesories there will help me build a relationship with them that may pay off later. Besides, it's always a good idea to support your local stores; they are a huge resource and a lot of them are strugling right now.

I'm pretty sure this didn't help but I just thought i'd share since I'm bored at work :) Good luck!

The difference between those two you linked is that one is "Multicoated" and the other is "Super-Multicoated". A quick glossary: "coating" means a special chemical coating on the filter which helps to transmit light and reduce glare. "Multicoating" is just multiple layers of coating, which work better than just one. "Super-multicoating" is yet another different chemical formulation, which works even better than old fashioned multicoating.

I personally have usually gone with just multicoating -- for normal shooting situations, it works very well, reduces glare significantly, and doesn't get in your way. If you're in difficult lighting situations, you should remove your UV filters anyhow.

Oh, and of course, the adjective "super" costs more. I wouldn't bother. :)

Using UV or clear filters for 'lens protection' is a waste of money. Any small scratches on an objective element would be virtually invisible in an image. If there is enough force to break a filter your lens objective would be seriously at risk of being damaged by the glass shards from the 'protective' filter.

Lens Rentals.com - Front element scratches

Shoot with a naked lens objective, use the hood and use good gear handleing and cleaning technique.

I use the SHMC filters on all my lenses. These are Hoya's best value for the money. Check out 2filter.com for good prices.

Most reactions

Back