UV filter

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Do you use UV filter ?
In case of different lenses do you keep fixing on each one of them while using?
Ketan:(

Some swear that UV filters degrade the image quality of the lens. I personally have not seen any problems using a UV filter in front of my lenses. In fact, I keep a UV filter on almost all my lenses to protect the glass itself. I'd rather replace a scratch lens filter than replacing a scratched lens.

You mean you have a separate filter for each one of them ?

That's generally the idea, as they aren't that expensive. And - as he said - it offers great protection against scratches and smudges.

Yep they are cheap I think the only time they distort the picture is if they are dirty :) Lenses are WAY to expensive to chance a scratch

I use them, and no they don't degrade the quality of the image, but you need to clean them up regularly, because everybody tend to put their fingerprint on it. One would always recommend a hood and an UV filter and that's how you get the optimum protection for your lens.

Yes, they can be very cheap, but I would not recommend these low priced.
Choose high end, with high light transmission and then you can let them on the lens all the time.
If you need filter for very wide angle, pay attention to buy a slim one.

The cause massive amounts of flare when shooting into the sun, but hey they can always be removed quickly :)

I use them, and no they don't degrade the quality of the image, but you need to clean them up regularly, because everybody tend to put their fingerprint on it. One would always recommend a hood and an UV filter and that's how you get the optimum protection for your lens.

Yup !

I have tested the UV filter vs. no filter in real life, and can tell no difference in the sharpness of the pictures. I keep a filter (either UV or high quality plain glass) on every lens I own at all times for protection, but then again I come from a photojournalism background and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have had sprayed onto the front of my lens while working a story... much better to toss a $30-$100 filter than a $200-$2000 lens.

Ketan......please ignore sabbath999, nomade, usayit, and myself.

We haven't had a real good "Look-what-happened-to-my-lens" thread in some time.

A tongue-in-cheek comment.

I use them for protection, Have noticed no quality loss with or without them on.

Most reactions

Back