Uv Filters

MPowerM3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will shooting with my Uv filter (polarizer thingy) on be causing my night shots and low light shots to come out darker then they should be? I notice a lot of my shots come out darker with it on. Am I right?

UV Filters and Polarisers are completely diferent btw, so i dont really know which one you mean..

A UV filter is pure galss and wouldnt effect the duration of an exposure or the actual exposure itself...

There is a difference between a UV filter and a Polarizer filter. UV's are usually clear some have a very slight pink tint. They do not change the light coming in to the lens by any real amount, so you can keep it on the lens all of the time.

A Polarizing filter is dark. It is meant to cut the light from bouncing or reflecting from surfaces, for example you would use it in bright sunlight near water or anything reflecting lots of sunlight causing glare. It will also change the f stop by one half or more depending on the filter or the amount of light. I would not use it at night.

I keep a UV filter on as a lens protector. If something hit the front of my lens the filter might be damaged but not the lens.

Thanks for the respose tasman I use mine the same way, so if i am shooting in bright lights with no glare the polariser would do no benefit right, only in high amounts of glare?

It is a UV filter then, as it is pure glass, what would a polariser to then? Sorry for the noob question.

a polariser would saturate naural colours darken blue skies to make white clouds stand out more and remove reflections of object. they usually can rotate to increase / decrease the amount of the effect that takes place,

sorry if that didnt make any sense...

MPowerM3 said:
Thanks for the respose tasman I use mine the same way, so if i am shooting in bright lights with no glare the polariser would do no benefit right, only in high amounts of glare?

It is a UV filter then, as it is pure glass, what would a polariser to then? Sorry for the noob question.

It might enhance color.

Do you have a pair of sunglasses that might be polarized? It is about the same effect. just trying to give you an example.

tasman said:
It might enhance to color.

Do you have a pair of sunglasses that might be polarized? It is about the same effect. just trying to give you an example.

my polariser saturates the colour and a just presumed that that woulf generally happen with all polarisers...

Most reactions

Back