V-Newbie vs Film SLR

hdtvkss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gday,

ok im probably about to answer my own question but thought id have a shot anyways.

Im very new to photography as a hobby (i.e i dont have a clue :lol: ) and have been looking around for an SLR to get into it. Originally i was looking for a DSLR, but a guy at work has offered me a canon EOS 1000F ( Rebel to my north american friends) with the std lense ( 28 - 55?) , a larger lense ( 78 - 300) and a canon wide angle lense.

all of the above for $100. what im wanting to know is , is it worth it? am i going to buy this and wish id waited and bought a DSLR?

personly, i like the idea, as ive always had a soft spot for film. However, is film still readily availaible or is that going to become a PITA? besides the above camera seem to me to be a great way to get into the hobby without spending a bomb, while allowing me to build my skills.

comments?

as long as you don't mind paying for developing, it sounds like a nice camera. If you really get into photography, i can see you eventually wanting a dslr, because of the editing options.. plug in the camera, transfer the pics, and boom you can photoshop them and all that fun stuff.

hi Chris,

thanks for your reply.

A DSLR is on the table in the future but may take me some time to get. what id like to know is will the lenses from the EOS 1000 fit an EOS 400D? im under the impression that they wont?

Processing film is obviously the cost you gotta incur. that im going to look into this weekend. im thinking ill shoot a roll of b&W and a roll of colour over 2 weeks and then get it done, shoudlnt cost a bomb....

Hello there. Lenses from an EOS will fit on an EOS, film or digital. The only issue you will have with Canon EF (the EOS lens mount) lenses is with "EF-S" ones, which are designed for the digital models and will not work on the film ones.

Hello, the kit you just listed sounds like a pretty good deal to me. As you are just getting stsrted do yourself a favor and keep a journal to list each shot- what the settings were and what you were trying to do and the conditions and such. Sometimes it takes a little while to get a roll developed any you forget what you were doing. ;)

mike

hi there, thanks for the replies :) its refreshing how friendly people in this hobby are.

im gonna think about the camera, i think ill take it. only question in on the expense of film and processing. hell, i dont even know if photo places even process film any more in this country!

dude, get the film SLR. at that price you have HUNDREDS of dollars left for developing and buying film, and although i'll get grilled for this, you just can't get past the AMAZING feeling of actually touching and seeing your photos.
kicks ass.
get the canon.

I love film... I just couldn't afford with all the pictures I was taking. I was also having a hard time getting quality images on the web because my scanner was not the best. So it would have cost me more to get a better scanner or spend more in having a company do it for me. Now my costs involve getting prints and I don't have to worry about film costs. Granted, I was buying the most expensive film I could find (fugi velva 50, Kodacrome 100, any type of crome I could find because they take lovely pictures).

You know get the camera and save for a digital. Film is good and so is digital.
Honestly who cares. What matters is the final product. There is ffar too much pretense around How you get there.
Photoshop and a digital is so much cheaper in the long run than buying enlargers and all that crap.

Like I said its the final product not how you got it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back