Vacation Cruise Pics...4 Shots, C+C?

pthrift

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So long story short, I bought my camera 2 days before vacation. I didn't have a clue how to use it, to say the least. It was (is) my first DSLR. Anyway, over the course of a week, I took some 500+ pics.

Here's the best four shots out of what I took. I realize that's not saying much, but let me know what you think.

tugboat by patrick.thrift, on Flickr
I was fascinated by this tugboat. I probably took maybe 10 shots of it, this one is my favorite. One thing I didn't like was how busy the background was, but not a whole lot I could do...Unless i went and asked him to drive back out to sea so I could get the "perfect shot". In post processing, I used the "dodge" tool (i think...dodge or burn, which ever one darkens) some on the red container and a tad on the red crane in the background. They both were so bright in the background, it would take my eye away from my real subject.

2 boats in Miami by patrick.thrift, on Flickr

I like the boats here, I almost wish I would have waited for the top boat to pass on buy before I pressed the shutter button. In my opinion it would have made it more curious as to where he was headed and whatnot, but maybe this way with the two going and coming looks like they're doing....something. IDK. Maybe I just like the orange boat.

atlantis hotel by patrick.thrift, on Flickr
How can you visit the Bahamas without capturing the "atlantis" hotel/resort. This was originally shot way bigger, and cropped it in to just the hotel. Rule of thirds went out the window on the crop though, I think. But I did offset the hotel best I could in the crop. May have pushed the saturation button one or two many times...I was trying to bring out color in the hotel itself, but the water and the skyline may be too fake looking.

bahamas shoreline by patrick.thrift, on Flickr
I know this one seems fake. All around. I like how colorful all the buildings were, and as-shot it was colorful. Everthing I did post-processing made it look worse, really. I like the shot, just wish I could...I'm not sure how to describe it...keep the colors but tone it down some? Does that even make sense?

I like the tugboat. I take photos of tugboats every time I cruise. I love 'em. As for your #4....what was your WB set to?

Number 4 looks cool, maybe a little straightening, the colours work well.

thanks. As far as straightening, how do I go about doing that? after I crop in photoshop, do I just "rotate" the cropped box to until the horizon is straight?

I like the tugboat. I take photos of tugboats every time I cruise. I love 'em. As for your #4....what was your WB set to?
thanks... I tried to get another tugboat as well, but it didn't turn out very interesting at all. WB was most likely set for "auto" or similar. Is there a way to find it in the exif data?

thanks. As far as straightening, how do I go about doing that? after I crop in photoshop, do I just "rotate" the cropped box to until the horizon is straight?

Yeah that's about it, sometimes it looks unatural but its worth a shot.

Yeah that's about it, sometimes it looks unatural but its worth a shot.

I was fooling with that before I posted them, but took it way too far (completely crooked). Isn't that the way to learn everything in photoshop, go extreme to see what something does, then back it down to a much more natural looking enhancement? well, that's how I learn anyway.... is there a better way (to learn)?

I love #3and4 but #3 looks like the white balance is off. Looks like it should be bright like # 4. great shots.

What format are u shooting in? (jpeg,RAW, ect)

If you shoot in RAW you will have a lot more control over your ability to edit you images. What photo editing software do you use?

I like the tug boat shot, but the crane in the background is a little distracting. I know you said you didn't like all the distraction in the background, have you tried removing them.

Best way to fix crooked shots in photoshop is doing the following:

1. Choose the "ruler" tool (located @ the eyedropper button)
2. Draw a line on top of the horizon (which naturally follows the horizon's alignment)
3. Go to Image>image rotation>Arbitrary... and press rotate canvas

And I kinda like the visual balance in 2#

I love those images.Its cool.

I love #3and4 but #3 looks like the white balance is off. Looks like it should be bright like # 4. great shots.
Thanks, I'll fool with white balance a little more and see how it works out

What format are u shooting in? (jpeg,RAW, ect)

If you shoot in RAW you will have a lot more control over your ability to edit you images. What photo editing software do you use?

I like the tug boat shot, but the crane in the background is a little distracting. I know you said you didn't like all the distraction in the background, have you tried removing them.
When these were shot, I was still using jpeg. I now use raw, because I've seen the difference it makes if I (when I; I should say) screw up exposure/white balance, etc.

I use photoshop CS5 to edit.
I haven't tried to completely remove the stuff behind the tugboat. Typically when I try to remove something that large/intricate, it winds up looking way too obvious that I've tried to remove something.

Best way to fix crooked shots in photoshop is doing the following:

1. Choose the "ruler" tool (located @ the eyedropper button)
2. Draw a line on top of the horizon (which naturally follows the horizon's alignment)
3. Go to Image>image rotation>Arbitrary... and press rotate canvas

And I kinda like the visual balance in 2#

thanks for the detailed step-by-step!

I love those images.Its cool.

Thanks!

For the tugboat,...if you want to give it a go, and since your running CS5, you could blur out the background to try to take away some of the distraction. how to fake dof in photoshop. - Google Search Once you learn the camera more, you'll know how to do this with your aperture settings and lenses, but right now you can play with it in PS.

On #4,..http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/cs5/straighten-images/

I
n PSE9 it's different. Theres a straightening tool. Until I can afford CS5, PSE9 is my workhorse.

Don't let Photoshop be your fixer for everything though. Learn as much as possible, and get it right in camera as much as possible first. Then you'll have less editing to do later. This is something that every new digital photographer has to learn. Don't use PS as a crutch, use it for what it is, a tool. I realize right now your learning. Practice doesnt always make perfect, it makes permanent. Learn how to take good photos, instead of learning how to fake good photos thru Photoshop. Cuz then you'll be able to pick up ANY camera, and get good results. Make sense?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back