Vacation Insurance?

flockmaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new here, so I haven't gotten used to the layout of everything yet, so this may have been posted elsewhere on the forum, but I'm leaving for a trip out of the country in a few weeks and I'm looking for a company that would either

a) Offer insurance for about $4000 worth of photo gear I'll be taking on the trip out of the country with for PERSONAL use

b) Offer insurance for the trip AS WELL as possible professional use after honing my photography chops for a few more months

I'm mostly worried about theft on the trip (I'll be stopping in some areas where crime is a likely possibility...Jamacia and Haiti)

Also my "homeowners" insurance is not available as I am not a home owner (20 years old, full-time student, living at home for the time being) any advice would be very helpful. thanks!

While I was in school and under 23, my parents home owner's covered me in the dorms/frat and on trips. It also covered my belongings that were in my car but not part of the car. I would call your parent's home owner's insurance co first. If they are renters as well, I'd call any of the major insurers to get renter's insurance (which you should have ) and then ask about your trip and the options you have.

renters insurance is the same as homeowner's insurance... just for people who rent their home instead of own. Everyone who rents needs to have it. I don't know about traveling, as I haven't left the country in 10 years, but my renter's insurance covers all of my belongings regardless of where they are physically located. If you have $4000 worth of photo equipment, you should probably check with whoever your insurance provider is to make sure that you have enough coverage. Some policies limit how much you can claim for some things without a rider. I had to add extra coverage for all of my computer stuff. For some reason the limits aren't enough to cover 4 computers. :)

Most reactions

Back