VAL experience.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out shooting on Saturday evening at a local park doing some macro stuff when a friend walked by with a client. I said hi and went back to shooting for a few minutes. Then I got up and walked over to my friend to just hand out and watch him work with this client.

I ended up helping him with lighting at that location. Suggested a second location at that park and then we got to talking about a totally different location. He liked the location and thought he would try it and invited me along. So I met them at this location and helped again being his VAL (Voice Activated Lightstand).

This was my first time assisting another photographer and being a VAL. But I had a great time and honestly learned something by being in that position.

It is something that I would enjoy doing again for my friends as I think it will help me in the future.

The coolest thing about it was that we got out his set of ICE lights and did a few images with them. For a small continuous light source those things are really cool. I didn't get to shoot any images with my camera using them but I loved what he was getting using them.

Cool! It's always interesting to see how others approach a shoot.

I agree, seeing someone else approach it is very helpful. He had some really good ideas and the lighting was simple (he uses TTL, where I have to use manual and a light meter).

I saw some of the images on Facebook (pretty sure the pretty, wavy-haired model is the one you're talking about). Turned out pretty well! I see he gave you a shout-out too! Pretty good story, thanks for relating it to us.

Yeah those were the images Derrel. It was another good learning experience that is for sure. I guess I make a decent VAL too. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back