Vancouver Island BC Trip - Suggestions ?

blackdogs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a newbee here, and newer to DSLR photography overall, and in need of some advice for an upcoming trip to Vancouver Island BC - namely Tofino. This trip will include some very nice opportunities to capture spectacular sceneries from land and sea including wildlife, and landscapes. I presently shoot a Nikon D7000 with a nice selection of Nikkor lenses; 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G, 18-105mm 3.5-5.6G, 50mm 1.4G, and a 12-24mm 4G.

Main question: Would it be wise to bring a tripod, or monopod? If I don't bring one, will it ruin many opportunities?
Some of the photo ops available will be from boats shooting toward shorelines (black bears, wolves, etc.), other ops will be shoreline sunsets, birds, and landscape views of the rocky BC Island coast. Also, there will be some "groomed" day hikes into BC Island rain forests as well.

We travel extensively, all over North America and Europe, and I have gotten by without dragging a tripod along. I do not have either item, and have been looking at them now that I have some good basic glass built up, knowing the day would come when I can't get by without one. Thankfully this is not a budget issue for me, instead a need issue, I simply hate having accessories I use sparingly.
Just not sure yet!

Thanks in advance, also I am finding this forum really good for information.

For landscapes from dry land a tripod would be very helpful, also for late evening sunsets to the west. Anything shot from a boat should have an exposure that allows for handholding, a tripod or monopod just won't work because the boat moves with the water. Of course you can make due with other objects to use for a platform for long exposures. A monopod is not too bad of a thing to carry, they make nice walking sticks for hiking as long as you don't get one that is too heavy. Some walking sticks even come with a screw in the top so you can mount a ball head or the camera directly to the walking stick.

a lightweight inexpensive example of the adaptable walking stick/monopod... Mountainsmith Trekker FX Monopod Trekking Pole at REI.com

Since I shoot with a tripod more than without, I would vote for a tripod, but it really depends on what and where you're going to be shooting. If you're going to be in a boat a lot of the time, a tripod won't be much of an advantage (in fact it could well be a hinderance), but if you're going to be doing longer-range shots with your 70-300, especially in low light (because it's NEVER cloudy in Tofino!) than it would become almost essential.

If budget isn't a concern, look to something like a Manfrotto 055 in CF with four-section legs. Light, short, and ideal for your purposes.

If you get down to Victoria, give me a shout!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back