Variety of Shots

ndancona

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to share some different shots I took over the past month or so. Would appreciate any kind of feedback. Thanks.

$rocks soft BW sml.jpg
10 second exposure with ND8 filter, shot at sunset and converted to BW

$rocks soft sml.jpg
10 second exposure with ND8 filter, shot at sunset.
$chapel cosmic sml.jpg
30 second exposure and used my car headlights to light up the chapel.
$hannah scooter sml.JPG
Quite happy with this gives a nice speed effect.

$sunset gradient sml.JPG
For this I was trying out some cheap ND filters that I bought on ebay.

$fireworks sml.jpg
Was far away for this shot and only had a 50mm lens. Happy with the composition though.

Wow! These are some awesome shots. Fireworks look crisp. I love the starry one - how did you do that?! All the star pictures I've done don't have nearly as many stars, and no color of nebulae or anything. That could almost be a shot in and of itself. And the one with the girl is neat too, followed her with the camera, right? I need to try something like that. Good work!

Number 5 is my favorite, I love it

thanks for your comments.

With regards no.3 - the starry one, a month prior i went out to take this shot. Got back and was not happy with the results. Did some reading in these forums about celestial shots and went back to try again with much better results. The chapel is overexposed, I toned it down in Lightroom but it's still very bright. It's hard to get it right with one shot, I know that most photographers mask in their foregroud in this type of situation. The key to this shot is to find a very remote place with no light pollution, it must be super dark. Shoot RAW and boost up your ISO, don't worry about noise you can fix that in post. More than 30 seconds exposure gives you star trails so keep exposure under 30 sec. Search the forum there is a lot of really good info on here.

thanks for your comments.

With regards no.3 - the starry one, a month prior i went out to take this shot. Got back and was not happy with the results. Did some reading in these forums about celestial shots and went back to try again with much better results. The chapel is overexposed, I toned it down in Lightroom but it's still very bright. It's hard to get it right with one shot, I know that most photographers mask in their foregroud in this type of situation. The key to this shot is to find a very remote place with no light pollution, it must be super dark. Shoot RAW and boost up your ISO, don't worry about noise you can fix that in post. More than 30 seconds exposure gives you star trails so keep exposure under 30 sec. Search the forum there is a lot of really good info on here.

Yeah, that what I did, but I guess where I was wasn't dark enough. I thought for sure rural Tennessee would be, but perhaps not.

Off to the Mohave!

More than 30 seconds exposure gives you star trails so keep exposure under 30 sec. Search the forum there is a lot of really good info on here.

Actually, for shooting night sky stuff "under 30 seconds" doesn't insure lack of star trails. The "rule of 500" isn't immutable, but it's a good starting point. Simply divide 500 by the focal length of your lens, round down, and that is about how long you can expose before star trails start becoming apparent. Assuming a full frame sensor. Crop frames, the formula is bit more complicated, but a google of "rule of 500 astrophotography" will lead to some good info.

#4 is good with the movement, but to be truly successful, the girl should be more sharp. That can be tough!

#5 looks fine and is my favorite. I don't see the typical ND filter effect on the water, but it looks good!

Most reactions

Back