Velbon Tripods

Suzumushi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at a couple different Velbon tripods and could use some advice. I'd like to spend around 300$ max for a carbon fiber tripod, which limits my options to only a few. I'm using a Rebel XSi with kit lens. I calculated the weight with the lenses I'm thinking about buying in the near future and the heaviest would be about 1.1 kg. I'm about 6 ft. tall.

Carmagne G5300II is 5.5 feet at max height with 25mm legs and max weight of 3 kg. However, the leg locks are screw-type and I would prefer lever locks. The head is pan/tilt and would eventually be replaced, but I would probably use it for now. Weight is 1.8 kg.

Carmagne 433II is only 4.75 feet at max height with 22mm legs and max weight of 2.5 kg. However, the leg locks are lever locks and the head is a ball head which would eventually be replaced, but I would probably use it for now. Weight is 1.2 kg.

Carmagne 435 is comparable to 433 but comes with a pan/tilt head and QB-145 quick release plate.

The G5300II is cheaper and seems better in all aspects but the leg locks. However, from the reviews I've read, the lever locks are far more convenient. I'm planning to use it for outdoor shots, hiking and macro and traveling. So it would need to be able to handle a little wind, but in many cases I won't be able to spend a lot of time setting it up. So the main questions are whether I will miss the leg locks more than the extra 3/4 foot of maximum height, whether the smaller pods would be sturdy enough, and whether the ball or pan head would be best for now. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Have you looked at second-hand/used tripods? There are often some great deals on eBay, as well as camera stores. I definitely prefer lever-locks to other types for ease of use. I would also suggest that you will likely find a ball head more useful than a tilt/pan head. With respect to your question on the difference in height; unless you are an especially person, I don't think you'll miss that too much. See what you can find used, Try Manfrotto/Bogen and Benbo. Keep in mind that you'll want one that can go very low to the ground, and ideally with a reversable column as well.

A tripod, like lenses is a bad place to save money. Buying one which "will do for now" is likely a decision you will regret later. Based on the weight capacities you've mentioned, both of those sound a little light to me.

Very generally speaking, I prefer the pan head for studio shots and the ball head for everything else :)

Definitely consider that crouching over a short tripod can get tiring...

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

Back