Vented Frustrations!

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Big Bully, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    And don't go jumping down any organization's throat about this. The person that you took the picture probably told them it was ok for them to use it and that's good enough for them. Going of at those guys won't do anything good for you.

Talk to them, tell them it's your photo and your friend mistakenly gave permission for them to use it. If they like, you could work out a deal to provide something like a one year non exclusive license for their use only. Charge them what they think is fair. I mean, they're using it to promote themselves and to increase their revenue, why should you just get a by line with your name on it. I'm sure they'll be reasonable about compensation. If not, you're not losing anything. Getting a photo credit will do nothing for you 9 times out of 10.

As for your friend, just tell them that you gave them the photo for personal use and that you could be making money off of it. I'd go to them after I went to the organization and if you have and agreeable outcome with the deisel folks, you can tell them what happened, what they did wrong, but thank them for putting you in a position to score some cash and that there's no hard feelings as long as they don't do it again.

It's not a good reason to ruin a friendship because they didn't realize you were serious about your hobby.

2. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I talked to my friend and he had totally forgotten that I had taken the photo. So I asked him if the next time he uses one of my photo's to at least tell whoever who took the photo. My friend is really big on having people know who he is and what he does, so it wasn't a hard case to sell. So I guess I will see what happens.

3. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I gave the photo to my friend because I thought he wanted it for personal use, I had no idea he was going to use it for self promotion and promo's for other organizations.

4. Good thing global climate change is just a liberal myth! Otherwise I'd worry about all that exhaust.

...oh, still no sarcasm smiley...

Let your friend know this is how you make a living, and that it is common error for non-photographers to make - they use images iwhtout realizing it is actually work that should be compensated. Tell him all your forum member friends are screaming for blood, but that you think a simple conversation, and credit in future publications, is all you're really interested in. I would then also negotiate with the organizers for press access for two years. Then you can take pictures, and sell prints or rights to those images. This could be an interesting "in" to sport that will hopefully be replaced soon by something a little more environmentally considerate.

Wooohooo!!

5. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well after I had my converstation with my friend I saw him on Saturday and he still talked to me, sooo I don't think I hurt his feelings too bad. But nothing was said about the pictures on saturday. But now he knows that the picture above is my picture. Hopefully he will remember it for the future.

And eco considerate sports are no fun.. lol