Venting: do you share photo sites?

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know photography can be a cut throat business, but I got drilled for sharing a site a friend showed me. We took pics there and someone on fb ask me where they were taken and I told her. It is a public place. My friend/photographer told me not to tell anyone about places she has showed me. It kinda bothers me because I believe in helping others. Also, people have shared their sites with me.

Do you keep your sites a secret?

There are some sites that photographers like to have to themselves. It makes sense because it's that special location that won't look like other peoples' photographs. But if it's a public place than I don't see why they wouldn't want you sharing it.

What's the point of creating a website that anyone can view when you don't want it to be viewed? :p
If you only want specific people to be able to see it, password protect it and give the password to those people. As long as there's no password people are going to see the website...
I think the OP is referring to photo locations.

Shhhhhhsshhhh. Don't tell anyone where I shoot... lol

58014943.jpg

Ohhh wait, don't tell anyone where I was shot. Me with my wife and daughter.

What's the point of creating a website that anyone can view when you don't want it to be viewed? :p
If you only want specific people to be able to see it, password protect it and give the password to those people. As long as there's no password people are going to see the website...
I think the OP is referring to photo locations.

Right... That. :p
Never mind me, I'm just passing through. xD

I always make sure to urinate around the perimeter of any good vista I find.

For the most part, my attitude is that public places are just that...public. I wouldn't hesitate to say where I'd taken a picture if someone asked (and I could actually remember!). I figure there are three basic possibilities:
--They are just curious and have no intention of going there to take photos
--They want to go there and take pictures, but I'm a better photographer than they are, so their results won't "trump" mine.
--Same as above, except they are better than me and their photos WILL "trump" mine.
NONE of those scenarios really bother me. So I have no problem sharing where I've taken pictures.

One exception to this, however: There are a FEW sites that I don't give specifics about--like my recent discovery of a spot where there are two nesting bald eagles, and very nearby, a spot where I've seen hawks, herons, kingfishers and more. This is NOT because I don't want people "besting" my shots, but because I don't want to end up attracting so many people there it becomes TOO public and the wildlife finds somewhere else to be. But if someone asked, and I knew they didn't just want to go tromping around, I'd tell them. Heck, I'd TAKE them there, even if they were a better photographer--because I'd love to see some better shots than I'm getting! :D

OTOH: If someone showed ME a spot, and asked me NOT to tell others about it, I'd honor that. If someone asked where it was, I'd simply say, "It's a place nearby that a friend took me to, but I've been asked not to give specifics about where it is." That makes it clear that you aren't just being secretive and unhelpful.

Shhhhhhsshhhh. Don't tell anyone where I shoot... lol

58014943.jpg

Ohhh wait, don't tell anyone where I was shot. Me with my wife and daughter.

Fool, the flag gives it away. Estados Unidos, verdad?

No, that only identifies the alien spaceship that is about to take his lovely wife.

If I find a good location, I will share it. Usually in turn, people will notify me of stellar spots to shoot. Just my direction with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back