Venting/Stagnant/Ugh

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yep, like the title says I'm venting, I'm stuck, I have been for a while now and .... ugh.

I'm stuck, spinning in my head, ideas, concepts, light, dark, won't come out. Nothing is right, nothing is hitting the mark, nothing is good enough, it all feels stagnant. Frustrated!

It all looks the same to me, melding in with the rest, but my brain won't stop searching for "it" I need to turn it off for a while but have zero clue how to make that happen.

I've walked away from the camera, I've picked it back up again, I've had high hopes for some shots only to find them not rise above and still my brain is searching for the next shot, the lines, the light, the dark, I'm always searching for it whether I want to or not and it just feeds the spin.

Round and round I go, trapped in my brain.
:grumpy:

/vent

Yep, like the title says I'm venting, I'm stuck, I have been for a while now and .... ugh.

I'm stuck, spinning in my head, ideas, concepts, light, dark, won't come out. Nothing is right, nothing is hitting the mark, nothing is good enough, it all feels stagnant. Frustrated!

It all looks the same to me, melding in with the rest, but my brain won't stop searching for "it" I need to turn it off for a while but have zero clue how to make that happen.

I've walked away from the camera, I've picked it back up again, I've had high hopes for some shots only to find them not rise above and still my brain is searching for the next shot, the lines, the light, the dark, I'm always searching for it whether I want to or not and it just feeds the spin.

Round and round I go, trapped in my brain.
:grumpy:

/vent

You're supposed to be studying anyway. ;) lol. Go to pinterest and look up themes for a photo a day or just go for a walk in that beautiful country-side that you live in.

Add some detergent, and get some cleaning done while it's spinning around. :hug::

Yeah. I know the feeling. I've had the creative doldrums for a while now. Sometimes... the best advice is to get away from it all for a while. OUr brain tends to run in predictable paths, and consious or not, we retrace the same paths. By stopping that retracing, we may open up a new area - but first we have to not go where we've always gone. It ain't easy.

Write down all the concepts you have on paper .. to keep it from spinning in your head. lol .. but this works for me.
Then reread it from time to time.
Pick a concept - such as recently, I went on a trip just for waterfalls. I had fun.

don't worry about not picking up the camera. Everyone needs a vacation from it.

It happens to all of us; in my experience there's nothing to do but let it happen. It will pass sooner or later... Maybe take the time [when you should be studying] to revisit the processing of images from earlier, or maybe wander down to the dark room and stink up the house for a couple of hours.

Buy more gear!

....kidding. :razz:

This is part of the cycle of creativity - I think if none of us had ever experienced it, that would be stranger than experiencing it. You want to grow, expand your abilities, be inspired with new visions - and it all sounds so simple when it's really the single most challenging aspect of having a creative streak. <--- Notice I did not say "...of being a photographer" or "...being an artist" because there are so many ways to be creative. :)

There is no easy answer, other than it's okay to vent about it, and know that you are among friends here who totally get it and can sympathize. Personally, I like John's idea the best - just select a couple of friendly negatives and go play in the darkroom. Nothing big has to come of it, it's just a bit of creative exercise and you're playing with an enlargement, not a camera. Burn this corner; dodge that corner; wrap an old nylon around your enlarger lens and observe the softness it imparts. Playtime! It lets the other part of your brain rest.

I'm stuck, spinning in my head, ideas, concepts, light, dark, won't come out.

Just relax and put it out of your mind. Creative juices will flow again, probably when you least expect it.

As I mentioned to you on FB, I'm right there with you! As many have already said, it's a cycle we all go through; I hope yours cycles back quickly!

My "down cycle" is a little different this time--I'm pretty sure I know WHY I'm where I am, but I don't think there is anything I can do about except to let some time pass. I guess priorities have simply changed for me for at least a season, and I'm okay with that. I do hope to find some inspiration, and some time to shoot more often, again soon--but I may never go back to shooting the way I was until recently.

Last edited:
I'd like to apply the term 'Shutter-block' to this feeling - it's also something I'm going through, I'm following advice with looking more than I shoot and taking a little time away from having my camera permanently attached to me...

Thanks all, I'm spending some time wallowing in my self pity and frustration but reading all your great replies as I do.
Venting to you all has worked before so fingers crossed that the spin cycle will end soon, even my go to happy places aren't providing any satisfaction and that is new.
Hopefully I soon will come out the other end with .........

My latest photographic spurt was because of Ultra Wide Angle when I got my 17-35 for my FF. I love the perspective distortion and shot a couple car shows and the waterfalls. I loved the cars with big flowing lines from the 30s - 60s. Of course the edgy cars were great to shoot too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100677477@N08/sets/72157645081760985/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100677477@N08/sets/72157645336414593/

Try to find some local event and take your camera.
Could always try the zoo too.

:( Feeling stuck is no fun. but like everyone suggested, try something new. Try something completely different. Make something happy, scary, poignant, flat, whatever. Illustrate your stuckness (it's a word now because I said so) in a photo. Or go hit things with a hammer. That usually helps. Just make sure those things aren't your camera.

Thank you all for your posts, each and every one of them contained something that is helping (I wish I didn't wait weeks to vent but then I wouldn't have been at the level of frustration I'm currently at and it would have been half hearted). I think Paul hit it on the head with the brain patterns and going through the same pathways over and over and over again so reading all the replies (over and over) is sending me in different directions. It kinda came together while I was laying in front of the window re-reading the thread and contemplating, I actually have a picture to post (something I would normally not posted because of a couple small imperfections like a corner clipped) I'm thinking that's a start in the right direction, at least it's something that doesn't get lost in my stream as "more of the same".

I love you guys :lovey:

Inspiration is like love, you always find it when you aren't looking for it.

Same with bears, but that is less romantic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back