Venting/Stagnant/Ugh

i'm thinking macro, f/11, 200ss or so, iso 1600, ring-lite, 25-stapled wound. alas, aint gonna happen!

Thanks so much for your great suggestions all, I'm still muddling through, things aren't improving much at all but I have lots of great input from you all to continue to work through.
I'm still quite frustrated with my brain right now, not only with my photography but it seems to be on some kind of strike and working to rule so I'm trying to find focus somewhere somehow... someday?
Mish, tried the new selfie, failed, but found this one hanging around in my files, oddly enough it's imperfections, jittery feel and lack of focus pretty much says it all right now....

IMG_9343bw-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

You like taking pix of yourself?

Get this from your library. Maybe something in it for you.

Self-Portrait Photography: The Ultimate in Personal Expression: Natalie Dybisz: 9781600597855: Amazon.com: Books

You seem to want to be a creative conceptional photog. Your portfolio shows you are talented with documentary work when it comes to nature and animals, but that is about it. I liked and saved one of your water droplets shots. You got some nice color blurs. But for the most part you seem to be a nature photog. I didn't look at all your pix, that is one of the problems having too much in a portfolio, it makes it hard to get though.

You may be beating a dead horse if you are trying to be great at something you have little talent with. I wanted to be a fashion and studio photog, but I don't have talent in those fields. Once I realized and accepted that fact, I didn't look back. Now my work, that I do have talent in, is in the collections of nearly a hundred public collections round the world.

Good luck at finding your niche you can be at peace with.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You like taking pix of yourself?

Get this from your library. Maybe something in it for you.

Self-Portrait Photography: The Ultimate in Personal Expression: Natalie Dybisz: 9781600597855: Amazon.com: Books

You seem to want to be a creative conceptional photog. Your portfolio shows you are talented with documentary work when it comes to nature and animals, but that is about it. I liked and saved one of your water droplets shots. You got some nice color blurs. But for the most part you seem to be a nature photog. I didn't look at all your pix, that is one of the problems having too much in a portfolio, it makes it hard to get though.

You may be beating a dead horse if you are trying to be great at something you have little talent with. I wanted to be a fashion and studio photog, but I don't have talent in those fields. Once I realized and accepted that fact, I didn't look back. Now my work, that I do have talent in, is in the collections of nearly a hundred public collections round the world.

Good luck at finding your niche you can be at peace with.

Hey Ilovemycam, thanks for your reply.
Self portraits aren't really my thing but thanks for the link, we all need to make one or two regardless of our like or dislike of them imho.

Thanks for taking a look at my work, I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment of it but you definitely are making me think and I appreciate that.

I'm guessing you checked out my flickr account not my actual portfolio, my flickr account is a catchall and not used to show my best by any stretch of the imagination. This is my current portfolio Judi Smelko / Fine Art in Motion

While I'm happy with my nature/wildlife work/skills it is not where I want to focus my creative energies, fine art is. I understand that my fine art work isn't for everyone but that's part of the beauty of fine art. I have my first showing coming up in September so looking forward to learning from the experience and moving on to bigger and better things.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another random idea is to open a book on Photoshop or Lightroom at a random page and go out and shoot a picture to utilize whatever tool or technique is on that page.
I noticed at our small local county library there are at least 25 books of photographs by various famous photographers. Picking a couple and browsing through them is also very good for inspiration.

Visiting an art gallery (especially ones which feature still photography) always gives me either ideas or inspiration (sometimes, depression if the work is that good). I also subscribe to NextIssue [100+ magazines on your iPad or tablet for $10/month], and I browse through just about every American fashion magazine there is every month.

Bet you won't have a drink and stop worrying about it…….

Thanks so much for your great suggestions all, I'm still muddling through, things aren't improving much at all but I have lots of great input from you all to continue to work through.
I'm still quite frustrated with my brain right now, not only with my photography but it seems to be on some kind of strike and working to rule so I'm trying to find focus somewhere somehow... someday?
Mish, tried the new selfie, failed, but found this one hanging around in my files, oddly enough it's imperfections, jittery feel and lack of focus pretty much says it all right now....

IMG_9343bw-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

I like that photo
It shows not only your early work where you took great photos whilst moving, but also a self portrait of that very thing that you like doing.
It may not be "in focus' but it shows movement in the lower right section, and being in a car (mirror) implies movement. Thus for me, being "in focus" with all that movement is not how it was designed.

To get it stopped you'll have to be at a very high shutter speed and quickly focus on that building. You'll probably still have blur in the closer sections.

Most reactions

Back