Venturing to FILM

GRODY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI..

I studied Fine Art and always had an interest in photography.. I picked up an XTi about 2 years ago and got really good at it. I have a firm knowledge of composition and imagery. I currently shoot with a Nikon D300 and a Canon 5D mII. But i feel ( same with painting and drawing ) that true knowledge of a craft lies in the fundamentals. So i want to get really good at shooting with a film camera. I good at seeing sets and situations with my digital camera and knowing exactly my settings and how to light it and i want to do the same on film.
I picked up a Canon AE-1 in really good condition.. looks brand new. Im not sure exactly on how to read and set it though. When i set up a shot i see the needle move up and down to diffrent aperture setting but when i i set it to that said number the needle doesnt go to the middle ? Does it always have to measure in the middle ? or is that just a guide to tell you where your setting should be ?
I have the instruction manuel to the camera but i need some guidance rather than refrence. I also have countless books on photogrpahy but no books on FILM photography as far as technical setting and stuff. Any good book you guys suggest ?

- thanks in advance
- eddy

// coming soon //
coming soon
efangel.blogspot.com

Start with Basic Techniques of Photography by John P. Schaefer. Then read The Camera, The Negative and The Print by Ansel Adams.

Books by John Hedgecoe are good.

The Canon AE-1 Metering system is slightly different to that of most other Canons. The meter needle points to the Aperture setting suggested for the shutter speed you have set, so in other words no, it does not go to the middle. You simply set your aperture to the number the needle points to or adjust your shutter speed untill the needle points to what ever aperture you already have set and go.

There is also a dot at the bottom for stop down metering, Simply stop down the lens and line up the needle with the dot.

Most reactions

Back