Venue wants me to sign very strict contract...have questions

If photographers stood up, and said no, they wouldn't even try to do it.

There is a venue in our area that USED to have a contract that stated that they could shoot photos during the ceremony/reception. The problem is that the first clause in our contract states that WE are the only hired professionals at the event, and anything else is a breach of contract.

Two weeks ago we got tired of it, and informed the venue that they were not allowed to shoot anything while we were doing formals, especially not when they were standing a foot behind us. They got huffy, told the bride that we were rude and unprofessional, and tried to do the badmouth thing.

As it turns out, every photographer they tried to bad mouth us to, told them that A.) their contract was the reason they refused to shoot there anymore, and B.) how much of a joke the venue and staff was to begin with.

Needless to say their contract has now changed, and they no longer impose on photographers.

Hey guys, I can't back out...well, I could, but she is a friend and we have traded out work over the years. That would put her in a difficult spot and possibly ruin part of her wedding. ...
That puts a bit of a different light on it. In that case, I would most definitely consult a lawyer specializing in IP and contract law. It strikes me that some of their provisions probably aren't enforcable, particularily since you're actually a sub-contractor. Once you have a valid, legal opinion, then go back and discuss matters with the venue. I'm fairly sure that the lawyer will say that there's no requirement for you to surrender copyright, limit the time you display the images, etc, but that's merely a guess on my part.

Good luck!

This is recommended reading for anyone who charges to do photography:

The Photographer's Guide to Negotiating

I too recommend getting your attorney's advice on how to negotiate the venue's contract terms so they are of more equal value to both parties.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back