Vertical shutter release?

DepthAfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I’m getting very close to having enough cabbage saved for the purchase of Nikon D200. Along with that camera purchase, I’m also considering buying the MB-D200 battery pack. Am not very much concerned about the added battery life this accessory offers, but the vertical shutter release might be handy.

Question for the membership… Is a vertical shutter release all it’s cracked up to be? Is this option worth an additional 170 clams (B&H price)?

I've got the vertical grip for my Canon Elan, and I don't know how I lived without it. They're great. I don't know about the Nikon models, but mine allows the strap to be tied to one point on the camera and another on the grip, so the camera hangs vertically. When it's hanging around my neck, I can pick it up from the side for vertical shots or the top (which is really the side) for horizontal shots. The added grip area, and the ability to grip from the side even when shooting vertical, is, in my opinion, the best thing since sliced bread.

Plus, when I'm walking around on the street, it looks bigger, and people automatically assume I work for the newspaper or something, and leave me alone. It's great!

But seriously, yes, I think it's totally worth it to get the vertical grip.

It would make it easier to hold your elbow tight to your body while shooting vertically...which will help reduce camera shake.

I never thought I would miss it as much as I did when I went from an F4s to a D50.

I would gladly pay $170.00 for a grip with a vertical shutter release.

LWW

Most of my pictures tend to be in portrait mode and a vertical grip/shutter makes a big difference. Even my ol'ElanIIe has a grip on it.

I have the vertical shutter for the D200, and to be honest, I shut the button off alot. It seems I hit it quite often just walking around. I love the battery versitility it gives me, but if I'm trying to be a bit more inconspicous, I take the grip off. It seems to draw alot of attention.

For me, it you can afford it, go for it, but I wouldn't die without it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back