very bad timing

gardy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so yesterday i spend the day calling around and getting quotes to get all of my gear insured on a separate policy from my homeowners. then while signing papers for a new vehicle for the lady, she dropped the D7100 with 24-70 attached, landed on its back, cracked the back from its top, bent the hot shoe, rear command dial is pushed in, neither lcd works, and will not AF with D lenses, other than that its fine. lens seems fine internal and functions properly but has the slightest bend in the mountimage by gardy90,
on Flickrimage-2 by gardy90, on Flickr
image-1 by gardy90, on Flickr
called nikon last night and it seems they cant give any repair quotes at all because its so new, the lens seems to be in good order and hopefully won't cost that an arm and a leg to repair. lesson learned have stuff insured before it leaves the box!
so what would yall do? from your experience is it worth sending the body in ?

How did you wife do, sleeping in the dog house?

j/k that sucks man. Does it still work? any issues?

It for still work, top and rear LCDs don't work, will no AF with D lenses, and real command dial is pushed into the body, she dropped it while I was looking at the car we were looking at buying (which was also a surprise when I came home and he said lets go look at my new car.. Lol)

If one of the calls was to your homeowners agent, call him and tell him what happened. He MAY be able to write the policy knowing a claim is coming... provided he also has your homeowners and you did call him BEFORE the accident.

If not, suggest that this will be the last year he has ANY of your business.

Most agents and companies have some flexibility (although limited) around timing, particularly around an existing relationship and quotes for added coverages.

I never thought of that, I figured I had to have the policy in action first, worth a try. Even tho I will be without my loved camera for a while, she offered to buy me a d800 to replace it if I having gotten it fixed by tax time (a long time away ;( )

Homeowners doesn't cover camera equipment?

Is that because it isn't permanently in the house?

If one of the calls was to your homeowners agent, call him and tell him what happened. He MAY be able to write the policy knowing a claim is coming... provided he also has your homeowners and you did call him BEFORE the accident.

If not, suggest that this will be the last year he has ANY of your business.

Most agents and companies have some flexibility (although limited) around timing, particularly around an existing relationship and quotes for added coverages.

This is good info, I actually talked with a guy who had some guitars damaged (I'm talking high end PRS stuff, thousands and thousands), he was going through same thing. I think his agent actually went above and beyond to help him out, simply because they've worked together for so long, and just to be a good agent.

If she's getting a new car and she dropped it, I say get her the car and then she HAS to let you get whatever you want to replace it. :headbang::headbang:

If she's getting a new car and she dropped it, I say get her the car and then she HAS to let you get whatever you want to replace it. :headbang::headbang:

She has already offered to give me half towards getting a d800, how did I get this lucky with a woman? Or are paybacks expected... All I can think is 2 years down the road "remember when I let you buy that camera an paid for half of it? " lol

She has already offered to give me half towards getting a d800, how did I get this lucky with a woman? Or are paybacks expected... All I can think is 2 years down the road "remember when I let you buy that camera an paid for half of it? " lol

Half is good since she offered. Go for it.

I plan to, we will see what nikon says As far as repair costs first

Get both. A good friend of mine once told me "choosing is for poor people."

Get both. A good friend of mine once told me "choosing is for poor people."

I'd back her car into a wall and call it even.

JK

Good luck. The thought of having a D800 is cool but that doesn't help right now. No chimping for you.

THe D800 is sweet but there are other considerations to owning one. (image size and processing, FX lenses and so forth)

It won't cost much to get an estimate and with that in hand you could then sell it 'as is' to help defray the cost of upgrading.

Homeowners doesn't cover camera equipment?

Is that because it isn't permanently in the house?

Yeah, If it was stolen from the house, or house fire depending on the policy and amount you are covered from items inside the dwelling it could be covered. But then again some homeowner insurances have caps on particular items.

I found that adding on to your home owners policy for other items to be insured under any condition was pretty cheap for the piece of mind.
Without getting into what and how much i have insured i have 2 lenses and a camera body insured, items that are well over the deductible and worth insuring. The rest wouldnt kill me if something happened to it. The price came out to be about 1.5% of the total cost the equipment replacement value with $500 deductible, per year. IMO well worth the piece of mind. Of course this homeowner add on only work if its not used for "business"

Most reactions

Back