Very basic lighting set up for a beginner?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would like some recommendations on some very basic lighting set ups just to start practicing with lighting.
Any simple little things just to see effects that different sources provide.

Also, when I have the money, what would be a good starting place as far as purchasing?
Uh....how much money? What kind of lighting (continuous, strobed)?

You can buy reflectors (white foamboard, silver car windshield sunlight deflectors) at Wal-mart or Staples for <$4.

Also; Click Here
Keith,
I like the thrifty suggestions you made, that's what I was looking for. Just something to play around with.

Also, thanks for the link to Google. I google stuff all the time, and sometimes feel like it is information overload. I thought I'd get a quicker answer here. If we shouldn't ask questions that can obviously be answered by googling the question, why even have a forum to help beginners?
Your initial query was so vague as to be essentially useless.

Do you want to do portraits, products, etc.?

Uh....how much money? What kind of lighting (continuous, strobed)?

You can buy reflectors (white foamboard, silver car windshield sunlight deflectors) at Wal-mart or Staples for <$4.

Also; Click Here
Keith,
I like the thrifty suggestions you made, that's what I was looking for. Just something to play around with.

Also, thanks for the link to Google. I google stuff all the time, and sometimes feel like it is information overload. I thought I'd get a quicker answer here. If we shouldn't ask questions that can obviously be answered by googling the question, why even have a forum to help beginners?
Your initial query was so vague as to be essentially useless.

Do you want to do portraits, products, etc.?

You're right it was and I apologize. I am at work and didn't take the time to make my question clear. But part of your answer was what I was looking for. Just some things I could do to see the effects that are cheap or DIY.

You can always play light from outside and experiment with different techniques which will give you some decent shots, but honestly I would really suggest a flash. You don't necessarily have to go for a SB900 which is hella expensive but a used SB600 works quite well or even cheaper used third party flashes. I've contemplated getting a flash for the longest time thinking it was too expensive and not worth dropping 200$ on a used SB600 but it turned out this was the best investment for the price.

For most part, photography is linked primarily to light then camera/lens and other accessories, so a good flash is essential especially for lower entry DSLR's. When you get a camera which can handle noise and high ISO very well along with really fast glass which is costly, you will not depend on the flash that much, but it will still come in handy.

You can always experiment with different DIY light sources, bouncers, diffusers and so on, but the best is having the light when you need it as fast as possible and a decent flash provides just that.

Very basic lighting? The sun.

Anything more than that gets complicated for different reasons.

Google "stick in a can photography" That might give you some ideas on where to go.

p!nK

hello, Im doing Portrait work Professionally since the mid 60's Best if we set a time for you to call. Theres Just way to many Options for typing. Chk Out then contact me If ya wanna talk and are serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back