Very first HDR attempt

skeen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm more interested in realistic HDR, so this is my first attempt at that, and HDR in general:

5367549645_23ef8c9f68_z.jpg

London View - HDR First Attempt

The smoke is a little distracting to me from the longer shutter speed exposure on the building on the left. That's minor because you could PS it out easily if you wanted to. But I think this is a good example of using HDR to improve over a single shot, compared with making it look like an oil painting.

It would have been cool if there had been some clouds instead of overcast!

What did you get out of this that you couldn't have gotten from a single long exposure? It's pretty, but I don't really see what multiple exposures brought to the table.

I actually have a non-HDR version of this, essentially, here. I like the non-HDR version more...but I just wanted to see what HDR could bring to the table.

All experimentation at this point.

how many shots(exposures) did you take? I don't understand how your DR got worse with the HDR

Is it a single file tonemapped?

Night shots are tricky overall with HDR. I rarely get a night HDR that I like better then the 0 exposure.

Its odd though how dark some of the details became in the HDR

Which direction are you facing in that photo? I'm thinking that taking that same shot just before sunset or just after sunrise, with the bright sky in the background but with all the building lights still on, would make a pretty nice HDR. Even if you could get the moon in to the frame... something that would be blown out otherwise, is what I'm getting at.

I like the non-HDR version better... the HDR version looks softer, and dreamier, but the contrast is much better in the single frame.

Thanks for the comments - I'm not awfully pleased with it either, was just curious.

I think you had it nailed with the longer exposure and it was a good exercise to see what HDR can and can't do to improve a compostion. Thank you for sharing.

Most reactions

Back