Very new to lighting, be gentle please

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am sure I will ask some basic questions, please be patient. I am looking at getting into playing with some lighting. I have a D90 and a SB600 flash that I am getting quite comfortable with now. I am looking to get a basic studio type lighting set up. I have searched some threads and found out that the Andromeda ones are pretty basic beginner ones and they are within my "price range" (I haven't really set one tbh) I am wondering if when using those I can add my current flash to the setup too or if I would need a third head to match the other two (to be able to try three light types of set ups) Is there a very basic tutorial somewhere that I have missed that could walk me through making sure things are compatible and that I am not missing things when placing an order to get started...

I use my speedlights and strobes together regularily; if all I want is a hairlight or rimlight, I'm usually too lazy to drag out another head and stand. A speedlight and 035 clamp do just fine. As for tutorials, there are literally thousands of them; YouTube is a great resource, terms such as "portrait lighting" and "lighting tutorial" will yield hundreds or thousands of results.

Thanks :) Sometimes my struggle is to figure out exactly what it is my question is or what it is I should be googling (^^Thanks^^)

Hey, just wondering where on the rock you are from? I spend a lot of time central Island but I have a sister and more family in Victoria and Nanaimo!

Why do you need the extra lights? Amazing things can be achieved with one flash and modifiers and creativity, add another strobe and you are well away!

Studio lighting can be great but it can be a pain in the backside to carry about. Strives offer loads of flexibility, tend to last ages and are easy to modify.

Depends what, where and when you are shooting but give it serious thought I spent £400 on a set that were rarely used even though I did a lot of portraits

i have just started getting into off camera lighting as well, you can get a cheap umbrella setup from many of the major photo sites that the speedlight will attach to, i just got an umbrella setup a few weeks ago and it is somthing cheap that really helps you. not sure how powerfull the sb600 is but i have ran into problems with getting enough power when shooting with the umbrella outside in bright sun as fill light, but it could just be me as well. ah the joys of learning! haha, so far im loving learning another aspect of photography outside of just point and click photography

The SB 600 when connected to the D90 and fired in a NON-preflash mode, can optically "trigger" basically ANY external studio flash unit that has an optical "Slave" connected or built-in. This type of "cell, or 'eye'" senses rapid light peaking, and fires the unit it is hooked to. This is called "Slave triggering". SLaves can be connected to speedlights, and are nowadays, built right IN to monolight flash units like the Adorama Flashpoint 320M models, which I recommend as solid values for beginners who want to buy one,two,or three studio monolight flash units.

A FILL light can actually be placed right ON THE CAMERA, right IN THE HOTSHOE, aimed straight,straight,straight ahead, and make good fill-in light!!!! That same fill can also be used to wirelessly trigger an external monolight like a 320M.

We were looking at the Adorama 320M and 620(?)M kits actually. I'm in Canada though so I need to find out about shipping and trying to figure out what else I would need. To answer the question above about why... Basically I just want to be able to play, I am very fortunate that I have a hubby that is very supportive of my hobby. As well I'm in a cold climate that only allows shooting outdoors for limited months of the years and I'd like to spend the winter learning to "play" with light

Most reactions

Back