Very new, would like some opinions

sjluto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a few days. My husband just got me a Canon Rebel XSi for a gift and I've been spending some time with it the past week. I've thought about taking my hobby to the next level from my point and shoot and have been working on my photoshop skills as well as taking the plunge with the DSLR. I've posted a few of my favorites. This is my FIRST batch of photos and I'm wanting some feedback. I'll try and give as much pertinent information as possible! Thank you so much!

All of the images have been edited from RAW format in Photoshop (this was an experiment too! Never used RAW before!)

3517708328_470b90a3d8.jpg
Shutter Priority, f/25, 1/200 sec, ISO 1600, set outdoor in partly cloudy conditions
3517713502_e7d636432f.jpg
Aperture priority, f/8, 1/200 sec, ISO 1600, outdoor, partly cloudy
3517715316_e718f6db4c.jpg
Auto?, f/8, 1/400 sec, ISO 1600, outdoor, partly cloudy

Thanks for you help and I'm excited to keep reading the previous posts for more help!

Hi!
I recently upgraded from point and shoot to the Rebel too. Are you loving it?

I like #1 and #3 the best. #2 just doesn't do anything for me.

I love the patterns and lines in #1 as well as the sun flair.

#3 is amazing! It is very painterly. great composition in my eyes. Nice job!

Thank you! I was so nervous to hear feedback other than my husband's... something unbiased, you know? I'm glad you like them. 1 and 3 are definitely my favorites too. I appreciate it!

Welcome!

I personally think these are great pictures!

#1 is very creative, I love the green and dark brown contrast, and the sun really makes it!

#2 I really like the patterns and colors...I think some more contrast and change in levels might add to it, but definitely cool how it is.

#3 has awesome colors, and I really love the distressed look on the wood!

EDIT: I have a question, why was your ISO so high in these pics???

Same question, it's already been asked: what do you shoot at 1600 ?

Or, since your Rebel is new to you, did you realize that you were shooting at ISO 1600?:D

Cheers.

1600 is way too much light for outdoors shooting during the day. I'd max it out at 800 in this lighting if even that. You push past that and you start to get major noise. The only other reason I could see to have your ISO that high would be to decrease your shutter speed so you could catch some action shots.

I like the first the best out of the set, great color and the sun star looks very nice. You're off to a good start, just get more familiar with your camera's settings and how to use them for different lighting and I'm sure we'll see some amazing shots in no time.

I like third the best, great colours!

But like everyone says, reduce the ISO value to sth like 100-400 in these conditions. You will see a big difference in the pictures (far less noise). As you reduce the ISO, you'll see the shutter time getting slower. Just as long as it keeps below ~1/60 you'll be fine. If i were you i'd practise this by using the aperture priority mode. Decide the aperture value (in normal daylight the sharpest pictures usually comes with f/8 - f/11), then change the ISO to 100 or 200. If the shutter time rises too much, either use a wider aperture (i.e smaller f -number) or carefully increase the ISO value.

Play with things like this and you'll see the correlation between ISO, aperture and exposure time. ;)

Thanks everyone! No, I didn't realize my ISO was so high. I never changed it, just left it and figured it was defaulted... maybe my husband played with it... :)

That will definitely help though, because as I was looking at them on my computer I couldn't figure out why there was so much noise! I thought it was because it was in RAW format and maybe the noise reduction on the camera isn't as effective in this format? I did use a noise reduction filter on PS which helped a lot! I still feel like 3 is a bit grainy.

Most reactions

Back