Very old film - FP4

john.margetts

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last Sunday I was given a bulk roll of Ilford FP4 film. The roll had a date of October 1974 on it - the film is over 42 years old! It has been s stored in a shed for a good part of that time.

So. A test film was required. I shot twelve frames at various EI levels. 3 ASA was too slow and the negatives were far too dark. 20 ASA and 50 ASA were much better - 50 ASA being quite good. Fog level was very high and the clear parts of the film were a mid grey. These three were shot at 50 ASA. A bit grainy and low contrast. These scans have had no processing - adjustments switched off in the scanner software.

2f35e6d33dd0d4e339d643411db13b06.jpg

1eb27aa4cfbe85b1886a89e803c5780b.jpg

7695bc5de965f9440e37d9318a3a16db.jpg

Last edited:
I like the look "old" film gives you, these look like they should have old Austin 7's driving around not modern cars.

I was going to say something similar - that the modern cars contrast with the old-fashioned feel of the grain and the tones. Now that you know what the film will do, it could make for some really interesting shooting :)

That's some impressive longevity, there. Wow. Now that you have a test run, some additional development times can be played with. I'm not bothered at by a little look of age here, and more time in the soup could possibly give you even better results.

I agree, the top image is very nice. :)

I don't know exactly how much film I have as it was already loaded into the bulk loader but I shall play some more. This was also my first attempt at stand development so I am learning everything here. My main photographic interest is old churches so I think this is where I shall use the rest. Certainly nothing to lose except my time which is cheap enough now.

Have fun but buying fresh film today ups the odds it'll be there tomorrow.

Absolutely, cgw, most of my photography is done on brand new film but occasionally it is good to use digital and other media including playing with very old film.

Most reactions

Back