very shadowy

enigma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok, i am fairly new at this so....

I need to take some pictures later this week. I will be shooting a mortition (kinda creepy) but thats what I am going for.

I would like to have the shadows be VERY contrasty (almost black and white with no grey)

oh, B&W film..

what would be the best way to do this, be through the way I shot it, develop it, or the way I print it.

I was thinking of using a red filter and maybe just have a nice high contrast on the print, but I thought I would run it by you guys (and girls) first.

Thanks so much, great forum.

I am not a B&W ghuru, but I would use higher contrast film like Tri-X and/or higher contrast paper(if you do your own). Both of these may give you the effect you want. I'm sure others may have better suggestions.

i was planning on shooting other things on the same roll, so was going to stay will my tmax 400 (set at 200 iso most likly) but I will keep that in mind. I may also look at the paper idea, thanks...

any other ideas.

You will achieve the desired result quite nicely using the Kodak T-Max 400 film you propose -- but i would suggest you *not* rate it ISO 200

That would effectively "over expose" the image (adding an extra stop) and give detail to the shadow areas and throughout the middle zones which you wish to avoid

I have have had good results pushing this film to ISO 1600 (+ 2 stops) which effectively "underexposes" the image - and, for what you want, would suggest metering off the highlights and printing on matt paper

(...check your documentation for extra development times, or post back if requiring more assistance)

For added emphasis, experiment with 'contact' prints which will give that extra bit of contrast and morbidity you seek

Depending on the amount of light available, you might find the red filter will restrict your shutter speed options. Personally i wouldn't use a filter - but you might like to experiment with yellow

Sounds like a fun assignment!

:)

e_

thanks, I guess your right about the ISO I wouldnt what to have it at 200 for this, I will try and push it up a bit. I will use the whole roll for this, so I can try a few different settings. After thinking about it, I dont think the red filter would work very well, it would be too dark.

Thanks, maybe when Im finished, I will post the pictures.

While I agree that the best time to get the look you're looking for here is probably in shooting like you have discussed. If your results aren't quite what you are looking for, you might want to try a contrasta filter when you are printing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back