Victims of Time

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few shots from my photography series "Victims of Time". I would really appreciate it if you looked at the whole series at this link.
Victims of Time: A Photography Series
(link is also in my signature)
Its a quick site, and doesn't take but a second to load

A quick background on the shots: I live in a rural area in Kansas and had always noticed the old spooky prairie charisma my area seemed to have. So I decided to take the ol' D80 out and capture some subjects around that had the character I was looking for.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or criticism anyone would like to give me. Sorry for the small size- didn't resize them very well.

1. Reflections In a Old Window

ReflectionsinandOldWindow595x911-1.jpg

2. Transparent Homestead

TransparentHouse714x510.jpg

3. Rusted Windmill

Windmill.jpg

4. Stuck In the Brush

StuckIntheBrush.jpg

#1 The subject is well chosen but the angle doesn't appeal to me.
#2 This one's good. But not good compared too...
#3 This one's great! Even though the blades are cut off.
#4 I like this one , but I guess the B&W is IMO poorly processed.

Hey thank you so much for your time and critique- its greatly appreciated!

On the first, I picked the angle a little low like that to give the effect of the "looming" window a little. I supposeI should have tried it a few other ways. What angle would you have suggested for the shot?

I'm really glad you liked the windmill shot! I actually cropped the ends of the blades on purpose- I personally didn't think the ends of the blades were crucial for the composition, and I also thought I would crop it this way just to make it a bit more interesting rather than the same ol traditional composition of a windmill. But I can definitely see where it might be a little bothersome. Maybe I should rethink that. Does this bother anyone else?

This car shot was processed about the same as all my other black and whites and I'm curious as to what exactly about it makes it look poorly processed so I can steer clear in the future. Thanks again for your help, its nice to hear from an outside perspective!

You need to get in closer to your subjects or find a better time to capture these objects.

You need to get in closer to your subjects or find a better time to capture these objects.

I completely agree with you on finding a better time and light to shoot these, but I'm not so sure I know why you want them closer. I would really appreciate if you would elaborate on which ones in particular you would want closer. On the house one, I composed it to where the house is a little further away to emphasize the fact that this house is in the middle of a deserted looking pasture while making sure the tree was in it too. I guess I should have tried a few different angles. Thank you so much for adding your critique, I appreciate it!

I like them all. Could they be improved somewhat? Surely. But I like them.

Hey thank you! I would really appreciate it if you told me how they could be improved so I know what to do next time.

#1. as previously mentioned, the angle. Now, I sort of like the extreme tilt you have going on, but not necessarily for this window.
#2. I'd love to see a sepia or black and white conversion. If there had been some dark, stormy clouds rolling by this shot would be frame worthy.
#3. Either as a full shot or cropped in tighter. Its sort of halfway here, which makes it look 'undecided'.
#4. I like this one, but I would darken it some to enhance the contrast.

Just my opinion. :D

I really appreciate it CCarson! That really helps me out. You have inspired me to go back to the house on cloudy-spooky day to take some more shots. thanks

I think you've captured the atmosphere of your area quite well, the feeling of isolation and quiet decay comes across well. My fave of the three posted here is #2, I like the colours and the dry feel of the enviroment. I do think your subjects are excellent and I would try some different compositions and different lighting. Your B&W conversions seem to be lacking some contrast too. The right light will add depth to your scenes.

Hi Roger, thank you so much for your input! You make a lot of sense especially when you say the right light will add more depth. I will keep that in mind next time I shoot anything. All of these old relics are all still hanging around, so next time the weather has a stronger mood and the clouds are a little more dramatic I will get back out there and take some more photos, try some different angles and compose my shots in more ways. I might try a few at dawn/sunset. I will also bump up the contrast on those black and whites. Thanks again, good buddy.

I would of prefered all the pictures in a different light, the homes and objects are rustic, and nothing is worse than having the colors which im sure help to increase the whole feel of the pictures then the whitewash of the sun at noon, or so it seems,

@The windmill
i might just be thinking that because of the B&W (btw & is the only key i have to look at my keyboard to find), back on topic i do not think that the pp helped the pictures or so it seems, the windmill would look a lot tighter if it was in not cropped, and personally i think that id like to see it in color. or maybe a sepia or rustic tone, hummm

@The house
I love the subject, just not the angle, i think it has been said here before but the angle does not please it, perhaps a bit lower and to the left? with the house in a greater focus then the tree, and although i do like the tree, having it in the foreground AND fully in foucs is distracting.

@The Window
I'd like to see this in a different angle, perhaps missing the bottom half (IMO), just because the top looks rustic, while the bottom looks trashy :/.
I like it again, i'm a critic because i kind of write down everything so that i remember small things like this when im taking pictures, so great job though!

I would of prefered all the pictures in a different light, the homes and objects are rustic, and nothing is worse than having the colors which im sure help to increase the whole feel of the pictures then the whitewash of the sun at noon, or so it seems,

@The windmill
i might just be thinking that because of the B&W (btw & is the only key i have to look at my keyboard to find), back on topic i do not think that the pp helped the pictures or so it seems, the windmill would look a lot tighter if it was in not cropped, and personally i think that id like to see it in color. or maybe a sepia or rustic tone, hummm

@The house
I love the subject, just not the angle, i think it has been said here before but the angle does not please it, perhaps a bit lower and to the left? with the house in a greater focus then the tree, and although i do like the tree, having it in the foreground AND fully in foucs is distracting.

@The Window
I'd like to see this in a different angle, perhaps missing the bottom half (IMO), just because the top looks rustic, while the bottom looks trashy :/.
I like it again, i'm a critic because i kind of write down everything so that i remember small things like this when im taking pictures, so great job though!

On the house shot I think you're right...a bit lower and to the left. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back