Video: Stopped for taking photos of white house

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by prodigy2k7, Nov 15, 2011.

1. shootermcgavin

shootermcgavin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

2. fwellers

fwellers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What you say makes sense. I would buy it better though if I weren't stopped and treated the exact same way for something similar. And I wasn't baiting. They really need to chill out about the photography.

3. fwellers

fwellers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well then, I guess you just made your case for a police state to make us all safe from each other. Bravo

4. fjrabon

fjrabon Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not saying there aren't very questionable things that the secret service does. I'm sure that some agents do some crappy things. It just didn't happen here. And throughout the course of the video the kid admits: 1) That he was specifically photographing the secret service and 2) That he's been stopped for this same reason multiple times.

He keeps threatening lawsuits, and honestly it almost seems like he was hoping that they would do something that he could bring about a civil suit for. I'd almost guess his friend was an attorney and not an actual police officer (I don't know any police officers that would do something like talk to a friend on the phone while he tries to bait other police officers into getting in trouble)

5. fwellers

fwellers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yea in my bias against what a lot of cops do, I failed to realize that the kid was baiting them pretty hard. However wrong was done on both sides. Listening to those cops asking if they could talk to the other party on the telephone and some of the other stupid questions they were asking him, made me think that they are just winging this and looking for a way to nail him or something. He was baiting them and in a real sense they were baiting him too, which is what a lot of law enforcement does.

6. dots

dots TPF Noob!

7. fjrabon

fjrabon Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the asking to talk to the other police officer over the phone was because the secret service suspected that the kid was lying and that the guy on the other end wasn't a police officer. Which would then be misrepresenting a police officer, which is a crime. Just like you can't impersonate a police officer, a third person cannot mispresent someone else as being a police officer, even if the person being called a police officer made no claims as such.

8. shootermcgavin

shootermcgavin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think this is an issue of legality. It's an issue of common courtesy. They are trying to protect us and do their job, they aren't asking the guy to strip down to nothing, they are asking for an ID. These guys aren't millionaires working dream jobs, I would be pissed just having to wear what they are in public. Isn't that enough punishment, give em a break.

9. fwellers

fwellers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

10. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You are not required to provide any information to the police whatsoever, unless you are driving a car and then it is license, insurance and ownership. In that video, he should NOT have been submitting to any profile.

skieur

11. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    To which the only appropriate response is, "They applied (and if I had to guess, against stiff competition) for those jobs. If they decide they don't like what they are doing, then find another job. Dealing with idiots is part of that job, and if they can't do it in an appropriate way (not saying they did or didn't), they should be fired.

12. shootermcgavin

shootermcgavin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

There must be more criminals in this forum than I originally thought, what would make someone paranoid about providing information to the police? To me right there I would be alarmed that the person was a criminal. There are certainly police that do bad things, but asking for an ID is not one of those things.