Video: Stopped for taking photos of white house

i guess its just diffrent viewpoints i suppose. to me this guy is more suspicious by not answering a few simple questions then someone who just answers honestly.

id almost bet that the last time this guy had a confrontation he acted the same way, and now being caught again and evading questions and confronting them over and over is why the ss will be sending someone over to interview him.

those type questions are asked to see how you respond. to wether you clam up. or get nervous or start looking around. or start lying. if your stopped, answer honestly and truthfully and there is nothing on you. your not very likely to wind up on any terrorist list.

your right, by the law he doesnt. but id bet money if he had just answered the simple questions he probably would have been sent on his way in half the time.

i mean if i acted the way he did i would expect to be kept there for a while. for him to argue about how long it was taking was just silly.

It is not a matter of answering simple questions, but rather a matter of whether the simple questions end up in a police computer base of SUSPICIOUS persons.
So, if the information is being taken down, then you LOSE by providing it. That is why a lawyer will say; Don't say anything to the police and that is irregardless of whether it is "harmless info" in your opinion. If your name comes up in a police database at all, how will home security react when you are trying to travel somewhere and they are on a heightened alert for some reason.

skieur

guess its just a diffrence of opinion. if im secret service and i ask a guy a few questions, he answer them all politly and honestly id send him on his way. if a guy is not answering questions, evading answers, not wanting to give me id i would be much more likely to put his name down. im guessing he did that the first time and thats why he is now having someone go to his house to question him.

police ask questions allot of time to judge how you respond. not what you respond with. they do want to know the truth so they can verify things. but they want to see if you start getting nervous, start evading questions, does your story change as you go along. things that throw up red flags that there could be an issue

Not a difference of opinion at all, but rather a difference in the knowledge of police procedures. Profiling is a common practice whereby the police keep records of people that they have stopped on the street for any reason and their impressions.

Now, if a terrorist or criminal act, took place in a certain area, they would look at the profiles of everyone they previously stopped in that area and possibly bring them in for questioning.

By complying with the police in the profiling, you have automatically become a suspect.

And by the way, you are assuming that the police will act in a common sense manner. IF that were the case, they would not be falsely arresting the average tourist or photographer for suspected terrorism and getting so many law suits in return.

skieur

Last edited:
The more people doing absolutely nothing illegal in these databases, the less valuable they become.

Like I said, I am very certain I am on some federal database, I am sure a lot of people are - anyone who has been mixed up with the cops at any protest, any event like the Rainbow Gathering, wears dreadlocks, arrested at a rave party - hell, that last one alone is like everyone ages 16-35 from like 1987-1997 :)

Seriously, who cares if you're on a police database.

The more people doing absolutely nothing illegal in these databases, the less valuable they become.

The person who instead of being allowed to cross the border immediately, has to wait a few hours and be subjected to an interview because his name came up in a police database.

skieur

It is not a matter of answering simple questions, but rather a matter of whether the simple questions end up in a police computer base of SUSPICIOUS persons.
So, if the information is being taken down, then you LOSE by providing it. That is why a lawyer will say; Don't say anything to the police and that is irregardless of whether it is "harmless info" in your opinion. If your name comes up in a police database at all, how will home security react when you are trying to travel somewhere and they are on a heightened alert for some reason.

skieur

guess its just a diffrence of opinion. if im secret service and i ask a guy a few questions, he answer them all politly and honestly id send him on his way. if a guy is not answering questions, evading answers, not wanting to give me id i would be much more likely to put his name down. im guessing he did that the first time and thats why he is now having someone go to his house to question him.

police ask questions allot of time to judge how you respond. not what you respond with. they do want to know the truth so they can verify things. but they want to see if you start getting nervous, start evading questions, does your story change as you go along. things that throw up red flags that there could be an issue

Not a difference of opinion at all, but rather a difference in the knowledge of police procedures. Profiling is a common practice whereby the police keep records of people that they have stopped on the street for any reason and their impressions.

Now, if a terrorist or criminal act, took place in a certain area, they would look at the profiles of everyone they previously stopped in that area and possibly bring them in for questioning.

By complying with the police in the profiling, you have automatically become a suspect.

And by the way, you are assuming that the police will act in a common sense manner. IF that were the case, they would not be falsely arresting the average tourist or photographer for suspected terrorism and getting so many law suits in return.

skieur

so if there inpression of me was this guy was honest. easily answered questions. wasn't an ass hole. didnt act nervous. that still seems way better then. this guy was a bit of an ass, he refused to answer simple questions. he questioned our authority he didnt want to comply.

by compling with simple questions i have in no way whatsoever become a suspect. sorry i dont buy it. the one who refuses questions yes, he has possibly put himself on the list. that is why the guy in this video will have people at his house. because he acts like he has something to hide.

as for any false arrest everyeone makes mistakes. thats a part of life. does it suck yes. but im not perfect, nor are the police perfect. not answering simple questions is not going to change that in anyway. nor will i see it crossing the border if the cop happens to do a serach for me and he found out i was polite, answered the questions asked and didnt seem suspitious.

i believe profiling is an illegal practice. this is why 90 year old ladies get searched at the airport because you cant just search someone who looks threatoning. u have to search everyone.

The person who instead of being allowed to cross the border immediately, has to wait a few hours and be subjected to an interview because his name came up in a police database.

skieur

That happened to me once coming back from Costa Rica, they through me in a room with like 8 other people. I don't know if my butt even touched a chair I almost immediately went up to the front desk and said I think there's a mistake I don't belong here. A supervisor came over and looked at a computer and said yeah you're ok you can go. I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound, if anything they need to be more thorough not less.

A few weeks later...A young photographer from Arlington, VA has been reported as a missing persons. Police say he was a person of interest, in a National security investigation. When agents went to question the man, no answer was received at the door. A week later, he was reported as missing, and police opened an official investigation as to the where abouts of this man. At the home, no signs of forced entry were observed, and the suspect was not at the residence. Neighbors only observed a black van with several well dressed men leaving the area, and a carpet cleaning crew.

I'm normally extremely "scrappy" and anti-authority, but this is ridiculous. The person holding the camera is more combative than the officers.

I've taken pictures of the White House with visible cop cars and officers maaany times - just for teh lulz. Never had I any problems with the police officers or SS. This guy had to be an real asshole and obviously was well prepared for this. In my opinion they we're absolutely right to stop him for questioning.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back