Video: Stopped for taking photos of white house

There must be more criminals in this forum than I originally thought, what would make someone paranoid about providing information to the police? To me right there I would be alarmed that the person was a criminal. There are certainly police that do bad things, but asking for an ID is not one of those things.

This isn't like the good old days anymore. When anybody asks for my ID, I want to know why they want it and what they are going to do with the INFORMATION. Remember, my license is INFORMATION. Why should I have to provide it to the police ? What gives them the authority to "run" me and potentially put my name on some hit list, just because they percieve I am acting suspiciously ?
Sorry, I just happen to disagree with the status quo there. I don't feel I should provide my personal information to anyone unless it is MY choice or unless I am breaking the law.

I guess personally I don't care what list I'm on. As long as they aren't doing deep cavity searches of me at the airport I'm good to go. Also it seems like the people that want to stay off these lists travel the least which makes even less sense to me. The only list I can think of is the travel terrorist watch type list, but maybe there's others I don't know about. I also have no information on my license that I haven't shared with millions of people in my life, information I would worry about letting out would be like the cure for cancer, or a car that drives on water. I don't really view my license as valuable information. But I do realize many people worry about theft and other things. Is it worth trying to avoid giving your ID to prove a point? Maybe to some it is, but I don't think that would put you in the pillars of society list. I'm huge anti-government pro freedom, I would over throw it in a second if I saw the ability to, but as it stands there is no advantage to me for giving someone a hard time for doing their job.

Aren't they always. As well young, white, male with nothing better to do than piss and moan about 'rights'. Maybe he could find something worthwhile to do with his camera/life. He could go down S.America and confront police in the same way - enquire of them where all the street kids disappeared to, one night; before the VIPs came to visit.

Clownshoe.

Yea, rights aren't very important. Lets just get good and complacent about them. Thank God for the Youth of our country that have the time and energy to help keep the govt from doing what it does best ( self perpetuate ).

Oh please spare the pity for this a$$hole. He lied to the officer when he told him he did not have a phone number then proceeds to call his "police" buddy on his cell phone. That would have done it right there. Turn around and put your hands behind your back. No?? Zap, down he goes.

Ha ha I wish I could double like that. I didn't get to that part of the video, that's hilarious.

Oh please spare the pity for this a$$hole. He lied to the officer when he told him he did not have a phone number then proceeds to call his "police" buddy on his cell phone. That would have done it right there. Turn around and put your hands behind your back. No?? Zap, down he goes.

lying to a police officer for the purposes of identification isn't a crime unless he has reasonable suspicion. I don't think they had reasonable suspicion here.

Its sad 9/11 had to change everything and how we live and operate on a daily basis.

Its sad 9/11 had to change everything and how we live and operate on a daily basis.

LOL, not taking pictures of the secret service changed how you live and operate on a daily basis?

LOL, not taking pictures of the secret service changed how you live and operate on a daily basis?

Lets face it Law Enforcement in general prior to 9/11 didn't much care as to who takes a pic of them or specific buildings or not but since then and all the Intel going around "officers" get a lil ramped up at times. Especially at the Federal level; but it stems from the top. And "things" that are put out on a daily basis at roll call; well hate to say it but unless you remember your roots and where you came from and don't use sound judgement and tact remember right from wrong -Yes hate to say it you become brainwashed after a while into "stopping" anyone and anything pointing a camera any which way....lol

Yeah I haven't noticed much of a change either, I fly once or twice a month and although I do not like taking my shoes off it doesn't bother me that much. I should be on a list cuz of things I've said at the airport, one time my backpack was being searched and my phone in it started to ring so i grabbed my back pack and answered my phone, well TSA didn't like that and told me I can't do that while they're searching. My not so smart response was well if that was a bomb about to go off I would've just saved your life, he said I should probably avoid from using the word bomb while in the airport which is probably pretty good advice. Anyone with any knowledge of weapons and engineering knows that no matter what they do you could still get by security with a weapon but even though it is more for the feeling of safety than actual safety itself I still say just use honey instead of vinegar when dealing with authority figures.

Many people have their ssn on their license. I don't anymore, but still. It's my personal info and it's mine. In the business I am in, ( IT ) there is a huge amount of money being spent to protect Personal Info. too easy for nasty hackers to steal your identity, your home etc... Giving my personal info to a cop is something I shouldn't have to do unless ....
You say you are pro freedom and anti govt, but you should realize that every time we allow the govt to step into our privacy another inch, we lose personal freedom that we never regain. Having to show my 'papers' for taking pictures is one such step that repulses me.
Most of these cops are freekin children. Wet behind the ears, don't know jack squat about anything and they get to be the judge as to whether I am suspicious enough looking to warrant "the interview" ? Efff em.

There must be more criminals in this forum than I originally thought, what would make someone paranoid about providing information to the police? To me right there I would be alarmed that the person was a criminal. There are certainly police that do bad things, but asking for an ID is not one of those things.

This isn't like the good old days anymore. When anybody asks for my ID, I want to know why they want it and what they are going to do with the INFORMATION. Remember, my license is INFORMATION. Why should I have to provide it to the police ? What gives them the authority to "run" me and potentially put my name on some hit list, just because they percieve I am acting suspiciously ?
Sorry, I just happen to disagree with the status quo there. I don't feel I should provide my personal information to anyone unless it is MY choice or unless I am breaking the law.

I guess personally I don't care what list I'm on. As long as they aren't doing deep cavity searches of me at the airport I'm good to go. Also it seems like the people that want to stay off these lists travel the least which makes even less sense to me. The only list I can think of is the travel terrorist watch type list, but maybe there's others I don't know about. I also have no information on my license that I haven't shared with millions of people in my life, information I would worry about letting out would be like the cure for cancer, or a car that drives on water. I don't really view my license as valuable information. But I do realize many people worry about theft and other things. Is it worth trying to avoid giving your ID to prove a point? Maybe to some it is, but I don't think that would put you in the pillars of society list. I'm huge anti-government pro freedom, I would over throw it in a second if I saw the ability to, but as it stands there is no advantage to me for giving someone a hard time for doing their job.

you are right. this isnt the good ole days, in the good ole days the guy would have just handed the guys his liscence. answer the simple questions and went about his way. or if a guy acted like this the cop would of pulled out his billy club. cracked the guy over the head and then asked him if he'd like to answer the question now lol.

this is the secret service, i think if there going to put your name on a hit list they could get every bit of info on you without asking for your license.

if im the secret service and im making a list for potential threats. i dont put the guys name on the list who was polite, showed me his idea and went about his way. i put the guys name on the list who argues with me, doesnt want to tell me who he is, and refuses to answer a few simple questions.

comeon, it's not just that. Yea that may be this thread, but it's all over the place. People get harrassed by cops, feds and security personel for taking pictures of anything related to infrastucture. I watched one a week or two ago about the California cop threatening to put a guy on a terror watch list, telling the guy he could be selling pictures to Al Qeda, and all this. I think he was taking pics of a bridge or a treatment plant or some such thing.

I concede now that if the guy in this particular video was hanging around for a long time, taking repeated pictures of the same feds, he was crossing a line, although I still say that line is very very thin. It really shouldn't matter to them. They are out there in the public carrying on, anybody can see what they are doing, anybody can stand there for as long as they want etc... If the govt depends on the actions of those cops out there in public being a secret in order to stop the whitehouse from being attacked, then we are in deep you know what.

you are right. this isnt the good ole days, in the good ole days the guy would have just handed the guys his liscence. answer the simple questions and went about his way. or if a guy acted like this the cop would of pulled out his billy club. cracked the guy over the head and then asked him if he'd like to answer the question now lol.

this is the secret service, i think if there going to put your name on a hit list they could get every bit of info on you without asking for your license.

if im the secret service and im making a list for potential threats. i dont put the guys name on the list who was polite, showed me his idea and went about his way. i put the guys name on the list who argues with me, doesnt want to tell me who he is, and refuses to answer a few simple questions.

I am very glad that you aren't in any authority.

Many people have their ssn on their license. I don't anymore, but still. It's my personal info and it's mine. In the business I am in, ( IT ) there is a huge amount of money being spent to protect Personal Info. too easy for nasty hackers to steal your identity, your home etc... Giving my personal info to a cop is something I shouldn't have to do unless ....
You say you are pro freedom and anti govt, but you should realize that every time we allow the govt to step into our privacy another inch, we lose personal freedom that we never regain. Having to show my 'papers' for taking pictures is one such step that repulses me.
Most of these cops are freekin children. Wet behind the ears, don't know jack squat about anything and they get to be the judge as to whether I am suspicious enough looking to warrant "the interview" ? Efff em.
[/QUOTE]

Certainly if your SSN is on there, which I can't believe any state would do that, there would be more reason not to show it. I've had my stuff stolen off the internet, and honestly it doesn't bother me. I make a couple phone calls, charges get reversed, life is back to normal the next day. I totally agree that freedoms are being lost slowly but surely, but the people in this video aren't deciding that, police don't decide that. So I say go with the flow until someday there might be a way to change the flow, probably not in our lifetimes though. Consider yourself lucky as an American you can pretty much pick anywhere in the world you want to live.

When shooting remotely sensitive subjects, you kind of need to go out with a plan. Know ahead of time what your rights are, and then have some idea of what you're willing to say and do. You need to know when the line is being drawn and your personal privacy is being trampled.

But, you don't have a right to privacy when you're out there. Anyone, including the police, have a right to ask you questions - and you have a right to not answer them. But unlike ordinary folks, if you insist on replying to every single question with "that's none of your business" the police will only bother you more.

I think the line is drawn when a police officer wants to look at your photographs, search your belongings or your person, enter your home or vehicle, asking very personal questions about your ethnicity, financial (including SSN) or family life or accuses you of activities which are are false. You need to know where the battle is being drawn, and just because a police officer asks you a few questions doesn't mean that we're entering a police state.

However, I do think it's rather humorous the idea if you're on this big Al Queda-funded incognito mission, you'd haul out a DSLR ... great way to blend in with the tourists. You never see cops harassing someone with a P&S.

I'm pretty sure I'm on a government watch list just because I'm an outspoken anarchist. If I am, it's really not all that exciting.

Most reactions

Back